New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Windows XP SP3

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ajwr

ajwr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, Intel 2.4GHz Duo, 4GB SDRAM, 250GB 5400rpm

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

I'm about to install parallels and was wondering how to go about doing things. I get the impression that I need to burn a Windows installation CD with SP2, so when I went to download it I came across the SP3 installation. Do you think I should take this instead or just stick with SP2?
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

I would stick with SP2 before it is officially supported.

There could be a few bugs. But I didn't the SP3 came out till next week.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

This file is less than a 1MB. SP2 is 100MB+. I'm sure you will have to install SP2 anyway.

You can also install XP in Parallels and then download SP2 from the Microsoft site from within parallels using IE. You will have to select "download and install on multiple computers" or something to that effect. This allows you to save the SP2 file to your XP desktop. Once it's saved, you can run it from it's saved location.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwr View Post
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

I'm about to install parallels and was wondering how to go about doing things. I get the impression that I need to burn a Windows installation CD with SP2, so when I went to download it I came across the SP3 installation. Do you think I should take this instead or just stick with SP2?
You don't need to install any SP with Parallels, that's only for a bootcamp installation.

Just install the Windows version you have available, and let it go through its updates when completed. It will be fine.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
You don't need to install any SP with Parallels, that's only for a bootcamp installation.

Just install the Windows version you have available, and let it go through its updates when completed. It will be fine.
I may be wrong about this, but I think the automatic update feature was part of SP2. You might have to install SP2 to get the automatic updates to start.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygray View Post
I may be wrong about this, but I think the automatic update feature was part of SP2. You might have to install SP2 to get the automatic updates to start.
I did a reinstall of XP recently when I rebuilt my VM, and I have the original retail release of XP. The best thing to do is to open IE6 and go to Windows Updates in the menu. The 1st thing it will do is update the windows update! Then it will ask you to download about 200 things, but do it in this order

- SP2 (nothing else until this is done)
- .NET next (if you want this)
- IE7

Only then any others.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
Roody

Roody is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mini Mac 2.0ghz w/ Superdrive. 2GB RAM, 120GB Hard Drive w/ Leopard OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryphotoguy View Post
I would stick with SP2 before it is officially supported.

There could be a few bugs. But I didn't the SP3 came out till next week.
It seems WU was posting it for some pc's as a release candidate a few weeks ago. I got it on my computer at work, but one of my pc's at home was never offered the opportunity.
QUOTE Thanks
ajwr

ajwr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, Intel 2.4GHz Duo, 4GB SDRAM, 250GB 5400rpm

Installed with parallels but I have a seemingly common problem, it's saying my product key is incorrect. So basically I can't install SP2 or any Microsoft updates. The first time I have a problem with my MBP and it's because of Microsoft! Guess I'll have to give them a ring. Cheers for the advice guys.
QUOTE Thanks
nbrowser

nbrowser has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB

Yeah, XP SP3 is still in beta.....and I being the WIndows lover I am, am staying away from it on my production machines until it's finished and I can test it on mule machines/VMs.....still pretty shakey and yes, it's not good enough yet.....stick with SP2 and all post SP2 fixes for now.

This is a multiplatform home !
QUOTE Thanks
youthpastor

youthpastor will become famous soon enough

Stick with SP2 for now...

New MacBookPro | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo |2 GB RAMMac OS X Leopard Version 10.5.5 | iPod Touch 8 GB | iPod Classic 80 GB
QUOTE Thanks
HIPAR

HIPAR is on a distinguished road

Non of my XP machines, real, virtual or otherwise, are getting SP3 until I'm reasonably certain it has not introduced new annoyances. I just wasted a day getting my home work group network intercommunicating again after a Windows update. The most obscure things sometimes get changed.

My Parallels (on Leopard) seems to be less finicky after I updated it a few days ago. I'm using Win2000 as my guest OS.

--- CHAS
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« using function keys without holding down fn key | NDIF Disk Images »