New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

I have a dream, is it possible?!

Thread Closed

Jessetbenton

Jessetbenton is on a distinguished road

so bootcamp is so cool to me. being able to boot with either partition on my hdd or even a cd if i have it in the drive. i was daydreaming and the thought came to mind, hey, what if i had a partition that was like a gaming console. my friend has a modded xbox and it has like an os loaded onto it. would it be at all possible to load a similar type os onto my hdd, in its own partition and run it on my mac? cuz that would be like the tightest thing ever.

i got to thinking this because of emulators. i read that higher end consoles dont have very good emulators on computers cuz of memory issues, so wouldnt it make sense that if the mac or xp os wasnt running all the computer processing power and memory could be dedicated to the gaming system? is this just stupid not possible or just no one has ever done it?
kmkl

kmkl is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD

i think its not possible...

so what you're asking is to run say an xbox on the mac using a partition? :S
i think the xbox os needs to be modded major-ily, and the kernel needs to be modded, and ya its a mess, prob not possible.

and then theres the problem of running it smoothly

it would be cool though...
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

I would guess that it'd have an issue regarding hardware... since the xbox is even more of a single hardware environment than OS X is.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

From my understanding, the games are designed to work with that specific setup, processor and video card. This is why the 360 isn't completely backwards compatible. The PS3 is backwards compatible because of the PS2 chip or emulation.

Emulation, no matter how fast the system is will always create a delay. I was under the impression video game emulators were illegal anyways.

January 2008 Member of the Month
kmkl

kmkl is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryphotoguy View Post
From my understanding, the games are designed to work with that specific setup, processor and video card. This is why the 360 isn't completely backwards compatible. The PS3 is backwards compatible because of the PS2 chip or emulation.

Emulation, no matter how fast the system is will always create a delay. I was under the impression video game emulators were illegal anyways.
they are, but...
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmkl View Post
they are, but...
Are illegal?

fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

If they are, the conversation has to end here. Talking about illegal matters is against forum rules.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
bryphotoguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
If they are, the conversation has to end here. Talking about illegal matters is against forum rules.
That's why I am trying to figure out

Jessetbenton

they are illegal if you do not own the actual game. i own the n64 games i play so no big deal. its like making copys of dvds, its ok for your own use, but not to distribute.
Jessetbenton

thanks for dashing my dreams guys... jk. i thought there was some hardware junk that i didnt understand. too bad, cuz that would be soooo freakin awesome to have like an exterior hdd for my computer and to be able to play xbox, with games i own...
bryphotoguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessetbenton View Post
they are illegal if you do not own the actual game. i own the n64 games i play so no big deal. its like making copys of dvds, its ok for your own use, but not to distribute.
Actually, copying copyrighted DVDs is illegal even if you own them.

MacHeadCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessetbenton View Post
Forum rules on DVD Ripping.

Thread is now closed.

Thread Closed

« Bootcamp/Parallels message popping up! | BootCamp not available anymore? (for 10.4.x) »