New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

MacBook Pro - MBP and Bootcamp, NEED HELP!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Faeran

Faeran is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" Macbook Pro Unibody OS X SL

First, my specs:
I have a 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz with 2 GB ram. OS X 10.5. I have a 30gb partition with Windows XP SP2 running on it.

Now, the problem:
While running Windows in bootcamp, installing Anything installs at about 25% of the regular speed. I installed FEAR on my mac and it took almost an hour and a half! On my old PC as a comparison, (Pentium III 1.0 GHz Processor) I installed the exact same game, and it took 20 minutes! What is going on!!!
(I don't know if it means anything, but I noticed during the install, the fan and harddrive seemed to be doing hardly anything at all, occasionally speeding up, then quieting down almost imediatly afterwards)
Why is it that Mac in Bootcamp is so slow with the harddrive?!?!

Does anyone have an answer for this problem? Any help is greatly appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Did you format the Boot Camp partition as NTFS or FAT32? If the latter, be aware that FAT32 does not perform as well as NTFS (in general). In addition, it can only write single files up to 4GB in size. With that limitation, a large FPS game like Fear, might have issues since it may store data in file sizes that large or larger.

Also, did you install the Boot Camp drivers following the installation of Windows XP? Be aware that you must insert your Leopard disc (or the first disc of the System discs that came with your machine) and allow setup to install the drivers.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Faeran

Faeran is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" Macbook Pro Unibody OS X SL

I have it installed on NTFS format, and also I did install the proper drivers with the Leopard CD1. I read somewhere just now that there is some sort of limitation on the write speed to the hard drives in bootcamp that might or might not be patched. I don't know, probably just a rumor.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeran View Post
I have it installed on NTFS format, and also I did install the proper drivers with the Leopard CD1. I read somewhere just now that there is some sort of limitation on the write speed to the hard drives in bootcamp that might or might not be patched. I don't know, probably just a rumor.
Unless Apple seriously flubbed the chipset drivers, I can't imagine that would be the case. In essence, Intel Macs *are* PCs. The major differences these days are the EFI (basically the next generation of BIOS, which hasn't been adopted in the Windows world yet) and the Mac keyboard layout. That's basically it, the chipset, processor, video card, memory, it's all the same.

All Boot Camp really does is two things:

1. Preps the EFI to emulate BIOS to allow Windows to run.
2. Supplies drivers that make some of the Mac specific functionality work similarly in Windows (alternate click, special keyboard keys, etc).

So, when you're running Windows "on" Boot Camp, it's really just running natively just as it would run on any other PC.

With that said, there's really nothing else I can think of that would impact your load times. I regularly run Half Life 2/Portal/Counterstrike: Source on my machine in Boot Camp and have never had this problem.

Just to confirm that it is indeed NTFS, in Windows, open a command prompt (Start => Run, type: CMD and hit Enter). Then, type the following command:

convert c: /FS:NTFS

It should come back with "Drive C: is already NTFS". Otherwise, it will convert your drive over to NTFS in just a few minutes.

In addition, another common mistake is that during the Boot Camp driver install, Windows will warn you about "unsafe or unsigned" drivers. Many times, the user inadvertently declines the installation of one or more of the drivers and thinks they have them installed. So, you may want to run the driver install again.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Expert Windows assistance available on the forums ! | Bootcamp/Parallels message popping up! »