New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

OS 10.5 - Windows Xp Pro x64

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mavrick

Mavrick is an unknown at this point

First off i would like too thank everyone that replies to my post.i am pondering a copy of windows. I cant really say much for vista. Im not going to point fingers and call names but we will just say its not all there. I have been running a 30day trial of Vista Ultimate. My question is if i buy the full version of Xp pro X64 am i going to have any issues. By the way the vist has been working perfect not one problem. MBP 2.5 2gb ram
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I would suggest sticking with the 32-bit version simply because the 64-bit version of XP has some shoddy driver support. The 64-bit version of Vista is a bit better, but it is still by no means as well supported as the 32-bit version.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Thyamine

Thyamine will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb

When I first was looking to install Bootcamp someone pointed out that the drives Apple supplies are only for use in the 32bit version of XP. I don't know if that's changed or not, but that would be something to look into before purchasing it.
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

I would search the forum. I recall folks having issues with XP64 but not with XP32.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
saxnbass

saxnbass will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G

I use XP Home because the XP64 is a bit shaky compared to the 32-bit. I'm not even sure you'd need XP Pro, most people don't. If you do, I'd stick with the 32-bit version. If not, save a bit of cash and get XP Home.

Eric
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, Core Duo; iMac: 2.4GHz, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD. Both running Leopard; 160GB iPod Classic; and 16GB iPhone 3G, 1st 8GB Gen iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Noels has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

The Boot Camp Installation and Setup manual states: "Important: You must use a single full-install Windows installation disc (Service Pack 2 is required for Windows XP installations). Do not use an upgrade version of Windows and do not install an earlier version of Windows XP and attempt to update it later to SP2. Use only 32-bit versions of Windows."

So believe I'd stay away from a 64bit version of Windows for Boot Cam.

Noel
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Autocheck.exe error boot loop | Parallels Misfire? »