New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

VirtualBox

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacFanBoy

MacFanBoy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo

Hi!

Just wondering if anybody has tried Virtualbox out yet?
I have just downloaded it and installed windows with it and it seems ok.

Virtualbox is a free opensource virtual machine app (like vmfusion/parallels)
QUOTE Thanks
smartyMAC

smartyMAC will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,

Yeah.. It's good free tool. But it supports only 32 bit operating systems as of now. But it's good considering that it's a freeware

+ Tri-BOOT MB +
MAC OS 10.5
Mandriva 2009
Windows 7 RC
QUOTE Thanks
GroovyLinuxGuy

GroovyLinuxGuy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10

I'm using it on a regular basis for testing. I am currently running it on a linux box at work, and my MBP at home. I had some issues with it when I switched my MBP to 10.5 but those issues seems to be gone with the latest beta release (for what it is worth, I don't remember the exact error I was getting but I was unable to install Virtual Box on 10.5). So far it seems good running a Windows and Debian Linux virtual machine. I highly recommend using it if you need a VM.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
kolevich

kolevich is on a distinguished road

I haven't heard anything about Virtual Box. But my personal attitude to free soft isn't very good. This soft looks shady for me. When I pay for soft I know that I pay people who work for it, people who has developed this soft. And when I buy it I hope they did it well. What do people who develop free soft get? Nothing? Then it soft must be with low quality...
That's why I prefer apps that I pay for.. Parallels Desktop is one of them..
However, I've used free antivirus soft called Avast and i really liked it.. I just can't understand what do people get spreading free soft? Can anyone explain me?
QUOTE Thanks
jsgreen

jsgreen is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" Alm 2.4Ghz iMac 750Gb HD 4Gb Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolevich View Post
I haven't heard anything about Virtual Box. But my personal attitude to free soft isn't very good. This soft looks shady for me. When I pay for soft I know that I pay people who work for it, people who has developed this soft. And when I buy it I hope they did it well. What do people who develop free soft get? Nothing? Then it soft must be with low quality...
However, I've used free antivirus soft called Avast and i really liked it.. I just can't understand what do people get spreading free soft? Can anyone explain me?
There is a lot of crap open source out there, to be sure, as there is also a lot of crap that you pay for.

Open source projects with an active user community put out very good programming (Open Office, Gimp, My SQL, Ubuntu...). I wouldn't put all open source applications in the same "low quality" box. Think of it this way - with the peer review that happens in open source development, lots of bugs get fixed and features implemented that would otherwise be missed or prioritized as less important in a commercial organization with fewer developers.

What do people get? Lots of things...satisfaction in knowing they have solved a technical problem, helped someone else, fun developing software that people actually use and appreciate. There is also a commercial angle - you can sell open source applications that you have put your own spin on (not to mention consulting around implementing open source applications for businesses).
QUOTE Thanks
MacFanBoy

MacFanBoy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Then why don't you download a FREE copy and judge for yourself?
QUOTE Thanks
GroovyLinuxGuy

Quote:
I don't know what open source/free software that you have tried, but I would have to strongly disagree that open source software is inferior. You use the internet right...well alot of web servers out there are run on open source software...Linux/Apache/MySql/Python..etc. You are using a mac...there is alot of open source software on a Mac. A huge part of OSX is made from opensource software that Apple simply took (well maybe not simply) and changed to suit their needs (open a terminal sometime and type 'screen' without the quotes, ssh, python, ruby the last two are standard programming lanuages that are included in OS X and are completely open source)...so as I said, I beg to differ. Would Apple use "shady software"?

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
kmkl

kmkl is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD

VirtualBox is developed by Sun Microsystems? or is it just sponsored by them>?

this goes under good open source...
QUOTE Thanks
GroovyLinuxGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmkl View Post
VirtualBox is developed by Sun Microsystems? or is it just sponsored by them>?

this goes under good open source...
Sun Microsystems bought them.
QUOTE Thanks
kmkl

kmkl is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovyLinuxGuy View Post
Sun Microsystems bought them.
ahhh thx for the info!
QUOTE Thanks
kolevich

Big thanx for your comments, mates... Maybe my view to free soft is too critical..
But as an economist I look at this situation thru commercial prism.. And still it isn't clear for me where is money in spreading free soft.. I would never believe that people who develop free soft work for nothing...
QUOTE Thanks
GroovyLinuxGuy

Quote:
Big thanx for your comments, mates... Maybe my view to free soft is too critical..
But as an economist I look at this situation thru commercial prism.. And still it isn't clear for me where is money in spreading free soft.. I would never believe that people who develop free soft work for nothing...
Sometimes people do things for the love of it, some do it as part of their jobs...yes some companies will pay developers to work on free/opensource software as part of their jobs...

Here is a bit of reading if you are really interested. I think it explains it well enough

http://www.linux.com/articles/29045

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

I've been responsible for some free software, that was actually part of my paid job. But as has been said, there are many people who will simply develop software for the enjoyment of it, or to solve a particular problem they have. Actually, much of Unix was developed that way. To solve problems.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
S.SubZero

S.SubZero is a jewel in the roughS.SubZero is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
If it satisfies your profit prerequisite, the company that makes Virtualbox, Innotek, was recently purchased by Sun. Money can be made with free software.

Virtualbox is nice. The Mac version is a little behind on features compared to Windows and Linux; the networking is especially void of much-needed stuff like internal and host interface networking. The Mac version is also missing the VT-x hardware virtualization assistance that some guest OS's (specifically OS/2) require in order to work. It is very fast though.

I like VBox's wide guest OS support. Here's a thread I made on their forums a while back:
http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=3730
QUOTE Thanks
kolevich

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovyLinuxGuy View Post
Here is a bit of reading if you are really interested. I think it explains it well enough
http://www.linux.com/articles/29045
Nice article! Thanx! Perfectly answers my question...
Now I know many reasons for writing free soft...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac (333 MHz) - Recycle for DJing?? | OS 8.5 newbie »