New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Partition XP drives on Mac...please reply soon

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

madhavojha

madhavojha is on a distinguished road

Hi all, Well i have installed XP on MACBOOK PRO and its running fine. But in XP i have only one drive of 120 gb and i want it to partition into three drives C: D: and E: drive of 40 gb each. For this i tried to install Partition Magic 8 but it isn't starting and it is giving the following error:-

"Error 117: "Partition's drive letter cannot be identified"

and I even tried Acronis Disk Director and it is giving the error :-

"Unsupported hard diskdrives. Acronis Disk Director does not support windows on dynamic disks, EZ-Drives etc. ".

So please give me any solution to partition drives in XP. Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Why the obsession with partitioning drives?

I get why it made sense back in the Windows 95 days, but now?
Short answer: From what I've read it's fairly tricky, but I'd imagine if you can find a tool that lets you boot off a CD and then repartition it might be doable.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Part of the reason you're having trouble is that your MacBook Pro uses EFI instead of BIOS. EFI works with the MBR differently than normal BIOS, so utilities like Acronis don't work properly.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bootcamp errors | Always boots in XP! Can i fix this?? »