New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

running games on vista in parallels on my MacBook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

austriker

austriker is on a distinguished road

okay, i want to run games on my macbook. i am using parallels with vista. parallels is version: build 3188 (i got it last summer).

my macbook is not a pro so i am unsure if gaming in vista is even a option. it is about 10 months old, but not the lowest end model. it has: 2.16 intel duo 2 with 1 gb of ram and 160 gb hd running 10.5.1.

i would like to play games like battlefield 1942, call of duty 2 & 4, red alert 2 and navy field (online free game, check it out at navyfield.com- i dont think it is 'super' high tech).. i basically just got windows in order to game

after i bought vista and parallels i was looking online and realized that i made a horrible error. i really should have bought xp and used boot camp if my only intention was to game in windows. so please dont tell me about that error, i realize and kick myself [ouch!] everyday when i want to play games.. any questions please ask, i really want to play navyfield on my macbook- that is my goal.. thanks all!
QUOTE Thanks
austriker

oh i forgot to add: i have installed navy field. however when i double click on it to start it up the screen goes black but the music does start. i assume this has something to do with my graphics card or settings. also i did install direct x off the internet into my windows vista..
QUOTE Thanks
ogacon

ogacon has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs:  15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver

any Virtual Machine currently has no good directX support. You can still easily run Boot Camp if you have a legal copy of Windows. I'd suggest doing that for your higher req games such as battlefield and COD4.

EDIT: I'm tired, sorry. I just realized you have regular MacBook. That may not be the best gaming computer for Battlefield or COD4, you might want a computer with a graphics card.

Relay For Life Support me in Relay For Life! Run by American Cancer Society. Cancer research.
What sound does your Rooster make?
QUOTE Thanks
kolevich

kolevich is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately it is almost impossible to run the games you have listed thru Parallels Desktop because they are rather "hard" ones..
However I'm not sure about Navy Field. As it online game I guess it doesn't have high system requirements. So I think you should give it another try in Parallels.. Did you try Boot Camp to run these games?
QUOTE Thanks
kmkl

kmkl is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD

Red Alert 2 should most definitely work, it worked on my old toshiba laptop (it to was basic) that was from seven years ago. It had a horrific Graphics card on stilled played red alert 2 smoothly
QUOTE Thanks
austriker

no i have not tried to do them in boot camp yet. i guess i might have to eventually try that. its just i dont want to use the up the space req'd for boot camp
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem playing videos from digital camera....please help! | Recordings on a Macintosh LC »