New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Windows Vista will not read Leopard Disk

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

elM0N0blanco

elM0N0blanco is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" (2.4 GHz Dual Intel Processor, 180 GB HD, 2GB RAM, NVidia GeForce 8600M Video)

Hello everyone,

So here's the thing. I successfully partitioned my Hard drive in Leopard so I could dedicate 80 GB to Vista Ultimate. Upon completing that, I restarted for Windows and formatted the partition to NTFS format. After fully installing windows, I booted it up and tried popping the Leopard disk in so that I could install the drivers for the iSight Camera, AirPort wireless hardware, and all the others. The only problem is Windows is not reading my copy of Leopard for some reason. Even when I go to the Computer and open D: there is nothing there. Any ideas?

Because of this, I'm not able to access the internet to update anything, whether it is wireless or through Cat-5 cable. Hopefully someone out there knows whats up. THANKS!

[el.m0n0.blanco].dmg
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Is your Leopard DVD a legal Apple DVD and not a copy?
QUOTE Thanks
elM0N0blanco

elM0N0blanco is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" (2.4 GHz Dual Intel Processor, 180 GB HD, 2GB RAM, NVidia GeForce 8600M Video)

dtravis7:

It is a copy of a legal DVD

[el.m0n0.blanco].dmg
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Allow me to state the obvious: use your legally-purchased original DVD. You DO have a legally purchased DVD, don't you?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

If it's a copy it ain't legal. Simple.
QUOTE Thanks
Vash137

Vash137 is on a distinguished road

Hi, I'm reviving this thread because I am having the exact same issue.

I have a brand new MacBook, installed a brand new legal copy of Vista Ultimate and Vista will not read the OS X install disc that came with my MacBook.
Any idea how I can get it the drivers needed to Vista?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash137 View Post
Hi, I'm reviving this thread because I am having the exact same issue.

I have a brand new MacBook, installed a brand new legal copy of Vista Ultimate and Vista will not read the OS X install disc that came with my MacBook. Any idea how I can get it the drivers needed to Vista?
If the Leopard DVD is one that came with your machine it should work. Can you boot the machine with that same DVD? If the DVD is not being read at all, it may be defective or there might be a problem with the Superdrive. Since the machine is new, contact your local Apple store and make an appointment with them to have it checked out.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
BobF

BobF is on a distinguished road

I had essentially the same problem two days ago and managed to turn it into something worse. I loaded XP into my Windows partition, and my (authentic) Leopard disc was repeatedly not read. Since it was a new hard drive, I decided just to reformat it. Now the only disc that gets recognized is my XP install disc. The OS X discs (1 & 2) go unrecognized regardless of which keys or key combinations I hold down at startup, though there may be some I don't know. In any case, I'm taking it down to the Apple store tomorrow and will post the outcome.

Bob F
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

Let me make sure I understand -- because your Mac could not read your Leopard DVD in Windows, you reformatted your Mac OS hard drive??? I must be missing something but that doesn't make sense. Why re-format your hard drive because you couldn't read an external media? Be curious to see what the genius bar folks have to say about that ...
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammySlim View Post
Let me make sure I understand -- because your Mac could not read your Leopard DVD in Windows, you reformatted your Mac OS hard drive??? I must be missing something but that doesn't make sense. Why re-format your hard drive because you couldn't read an external media? Be curious to see what the genius bar folks have to say about that ...
Well said Sammy.

Did you ever try the OSX DVD's in OSX to see if they came up before you zapped it all?
QUOTE Thanks
BobF

BobF is on a distinguished road

This refers to my post three days ago in this thread.

I took my MBP to the Genius Bar at the local Apple store. Basically, the person who helped me could make only a wild guess or two at what was wrong. He reinstalled OS X via blu ray. I easily installed XP under Boot Camp, but the machine still won't recognize Leopard for the XP driver install. It will recognize all application discs that I've tried, except the Memorex cleaning disc. Same when I tried an external optical disc through the USB port. Since the MBP works great apart from the OS X system disc non-recognition thing, I'm going back to the store and ask them to install the XP drivers via blu ray and declare victory in terms of functionality, if not in terms of knowledge.

Thanks for all your comments.

Bob F
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

Good luck bud. Let us know if they can get it to work!
QUOTE Thanks
saad.waseem

saad.waseem is on a distinguished road

Humm . .. You should check if the CD is recognized over the OSX to make sure that the CD is working fine . .. are u entering the correct Cd its CD 1 that need to be inserted for the software's.
And If still ur getting the same issue, tell the guy at the genius bar to get u a new copy of the OSX Cds that u got in the box. ..but be sure that its the same of ur board.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« pdf to word conversion | iMac hard drive not detected after installed XP »