New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Does anyone foresee any problems with this?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cathyy

cathyy is on a distinguished road

I want to play some PC games on my Macbook Pro, and my school provides us with a copy of Vista Business. However they're only giving it to us when school starts (5+ weeks). Therefore I'm considering installing my older copy of Windows XP SP2 on my notebook so that I can play my games. When my school finally gives us our Vista Business, I'm planning to store all my game files to an external HDD, wipe out the entire XP partition, install Vista over it, then putting back all my game files.

Do you guys think this is fine? Will I face any problems?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Should be just like doing a clean install of vista.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
dalison

dalison has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD

You will likely need to reinstall your games, not just copy them over. Many Windows applications use shared DLLs that they place in the Windows or Windows\System(32) directory. In addition there are usually registry entries that will need to be updated. This is what the setup programs do.

If you are trying to keep profile information from your games (levels, preferences, etc.) that's a different story and dependent on each game. Some store their data in your My Documents directory, some in the Local Settings directory tree, others in the registry. If that's your concern you should check the forums of the different games you have for advice on moving an installation of that particular game.

--David
My blog about my move from Windows to Mac: www.davidalison.com
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I know this wasn't your question, but I would really recommend sticking with XP if you can run the games you want to play on it. I started out using XP for games and later "upgraded" to Vista. Vista is such a drain on energy resources that none of my games played as well. (FPS rates were down over 25%) So I switched back to XP. I have no plans to switch back to Vista unless some program requires it, which I don't expect any time soon as Vista is not very popular.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

Why not upgrade XP to Vista? Then all your apps and settings will be intact.

Vista has a profile migrator I helped my retired neighbor put his old data from an old XP machine onto a new Vista machine. Both machines have to be on the same network. I don't know if the migrator works on same-machine cases though.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« what first: boot camp or fusion | Flash on iCab Browser »