New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Windows XP x64 or 32 bit?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gamequeen

gamequeen is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 Macbook Pro 2 GHz i7/15"/8gb RAM

Hey I have a Macbook Pro and I need to run XP using Parallels for work purposes. My school sent gave me an copy of XP x64 version as well as the 32bit regular version. Since the Macbook Pro is a 64bit computer, should I go with the x64 version or the 32bit. I understand that the x64 version has more security features and allows you to run resource hogging programs more smoothly. However the downside to that is the fact that you have to have 64bit drivers for all your applications and peripheals. I am a graphic design major and most of my designing will be on OS X but I will be doing my regular work on XP. Also I will like to be able to use XP for video gaming and uTorrent. So, would I benefit from just using the x64 version or stick with the 32bit?

Also, can I use Bootcamp to install Tiger and use Parallels on the same machine? So in essence I will have Tiger via Bootcamp, OS X, and XP via Parallels.

Thanks!!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Just did some searching and found that the Macbook Pro still doesn't have drivers for Windows XP x64. So it's in your best interest to stick with the 32-bit version of XP.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
gamequeen

gamequeen is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 Macbook Pro 2 GHz i7/15"/8gb RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Just did some searching and found that the Macbook Pro still doesn't have drivers for Windows XP x64. So it's in your best interest to stick with the 32-bit version of XP.
Where did you find that information?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

According to the info that comes with the new, late 2007 onwards Macbook Pros and Mac Pros the Leopard disc contains Vista 64bit drivers but all the other info I can find points to just 32bit drivers for XP

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
PerryLynch

PerryLynch has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro 4GB

I use VMWAre Fusion to run a copy of XP64 on a daily basis. You may not be able to do it in bootcamp - although I've never tried, but if you aren't doing heavy gaming, XP64 is the way to go. Just bear in mind that you will still need to run antivirus on it.

If you do it with Fusion or Parallels, here's what you should do:
Install and Update Fusion or PArallels.
Create an image - XP, or XP64. I'd set it for no larger than 40 GB, after all, you won't use it that much. Set it to expand as needed to that point.
Set it for one processor and 512 MB of RAM
Install XP - 64 or 32
While XP is installing, go to a reputable antivirus site - KAspersky is my favorite, and get the 30-day trial copy for windows. Download it to your desktop. Drag it to the XP desktop immediately upon completed install.
Install VMWare tools, then install the AV.
Run Windows Update until it's satisfied.

Be sure to take a snapshot of the image before you make any changes to it.

Perry M Lynch, CISSP CISA
Mac Newbie, Security not-so-newbie
QUOTE Thanks
bpaskin

bpaskin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Quad Core Q6600, 4 GB PC2-6400 CAS4, 750 GB Seagate

I recently installed Vista x64 on a separate machine. Since most of the software is still running at 32 bit there is no reason to run a 64 bit Windows OS. I found many, many problems with x64 and I am regretting I installed it.
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

While you CAN install XP64, installing XP32 is much simpler with fewer issues all the way around (bootcamp, fusion or parallels). Unless you have a specific need for the 64 bit version, I would go with the 32 bit version. Trying to install the 64 bit version because the Mac "is a 64 bit machine" is not a specific need ... It's a secondary operating system and you don't want to make the install more trouble than it's worth, IMO. I use the 32 bit version under Fusion (started with Bootcamp then realized I didn't really need dual booting) and it runs everything fine, very snappy, no install or operating issues. The AV point is also important and there are several options (I use AVG's free software personally).

Good luck
QUOTE Thanks
CFAJSHTAJN13

CFAJSHTAJN13 is on a distinguished road

CAN SOME ONE TELL ME STEP BY STEP HOW TO INSTALL WINDOWS XP SERVICE PAK 2 64 BIT on my G5 pro intel xenon please a try but i when it restart it says missing (i fort name of file somthing 32 bit ) please ...
QUOTE Thanks
durkajosh

durkajosh is on a distinguished road

Is any of the software you use 64 bit? If not, there's no reason to install x64 XP.
QUOTE Thanks
CFAJSHTAJN13

Quote:
Originally Posted by durkajosh View Post
Is any of the software you use 64 bit? If not, there's no reason to install x64 XP.
I HAVE LEOPARD on 64 bit 4 giga ram but i wan`t to have same on xp 4 giga of ram i install xp 32 just 2 giga ram ???:S
QUOTE Thanks
nbrowser

nbrowser has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB

Just an FYI, since driver support really realy lacks for XP x64.....stay away from it, I tried it on my AMD Sempron 64 bit laptop, was a bear to get things working, Vista x64 has better support but ah it's performance leaves a lot to be desired....stick with XP 32 bit, just my 2 cents

This is a multiplatform home !
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Ok, for starters, stop using caps. Second, you said you have a G5 Intel Xeon. That's a bunch of nonsense.

Clarify your statements and then we'll help you. And write proper English.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
CFAJSHTAJN13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Ok, for starters, stop using caps. Second, you said you have a G5 Intel Xeon. That's a bunch of nonsense.

Clarify your statements and then we'll help you. And write proper English.
i will try to write best that i can i have this config of my mac

dual 3.2 Ghz quad core intel xeon
4 giga ram
1 tera hdd
512 mb grafick card dual

leopard 10.5.1 osx

i am a musice producer so many plugins i can not finde for osx
so for xp i got all that i need , but i will like to use thos preformance of my mac same as n osx same in xp if that is posible. bye
QUOTE Thanks
ogacon

ogacon has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs:  15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFAJSHTAJN13 View Post
I will try to write the best that I can, I don't know english that well. Here is the configuration of my Mac.

dual 3.2 Ghz quad core intel xeon
4 giga ram
1 tera hdd
512 mb grafics card dual

leopard 10.5.1 osx

I am a music producer so many plugins I need I cannot find for OS X. So I use XP to use the ones I need. However, I want XP to run at the same speed and performance as my OS X if that is possible. Bye
Translated.

Relay For Life Support me in Relay For Life! Run by American Cancer Society. Cancer research.
What sound does your Rooster make?
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

I will assume that English is not your first language - you did not tell us how you were trying to install it (via Bootcamp, Parallels or Fusion) when you got the error. As I recall, Bootcamp (which I no longer use) does not support XP64, only XP32 (others please correct me if I am wrong). What the other posters are telling you is that XP32 is the most stable option even under Parallels or Fusion. Earlier in this thread, another poster indicated he has been using XP64 under Fusion - if so, that's worth reviewing in more detail.

Note that Parallels and Fusion both have free trial software - so if you have a copy of XP64 I would download and try both and see which one works better for you.

Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« BootCamp not available anymore? (for 10.4.x) | How do I right click on windows? »