New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

OHCI USB doesn't work in Mac OS 9

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PatrickB

PatrickB is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5, 2x 1.8GHz, 2GB RAM, 160+80GB HDD, OS X 10.5.6, nVidia GeForce 5200FX

Hello,

I am running Mac OS 9 on my beige Mac G3. Because I need/want USB ports on this machine, I bought a Belkin F5U220 PCI card. According to the packaging it supports Mac OS 8.6 and higher.

Unfortunatly, it crashes my Mac during bootup with error 19, and says I should boot without extensions. It even says so when I boot without extensions. Is there something that I am doing wrong, or is this card just incompatible?

The card isn't broken, because it does work on my Linux machine, but I already had a UHCI/EHCI card installed in that.

The card I bought is this: Belkin F5U220. When looking under specs there it also doen't mention Mac OS 9, but just Mac OS X. Still, the packaging said it supported OS 9.

What am I doing wrong? Should I just return this card and get another one?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

I seem to remember there were some updates if I remember the days when I used OS 9

Hang on I'll do a search

found it

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=31132
QUOTE Thanks
matdyde

matdyde is on a distinguished road

Hey folks, my mate is running a powermac g4, cant seem to find the relevant desktop box for changing the geometric settings?? have tried the osx and classic environ. the screen overhangs on each end and the boxes are all inverted. We have tried to change the monitor settings to no avail.
QUOTE Thanks
PatrickB

PatrickB is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5, 2x 1.8GHz, 2GB RAM, 160+80GB HDD, OS X 10.5.6, nVidia GeForce 5200FX

Well, I tried that, and it still gives error 19.

I think I am going to visit my local Apple store for a USB card, probably better than just buying one online (but the online manual said it works with Mac OS 8.6 and higher ).

Thanks anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like an extension conflict. Go into the extension manager and trun off
some third party Exs your not useing and see what happens,or find a copy
of conflict catcher. The usb cards with more than two ports are mainy for PCs
look for the two port cards that are usb one standard.
QUOTE Thanks
unknown1

unknown1 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Pismo 400MHz bought for $46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac SK View Post
Sounds like an extension conflict. Go into the extension manager and trun off
some third party Exs your not useing and see what happens,or find a copy
of conflict catcher. The usb cards with more than two ports are mainy for PCs
look for the two port cards that are usb one standard.
That's Right, OS 9 and under only support USB 1.1 and I'm not sure which version of OS X added USB 2 High Speed support.

Sent with an Ancient 2000 Mac PowerBook Pismo
Russell - Unknown1 - Idaho USA
http://www.narrowgaugenews.net
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bootcamp Vista and Clock/Problem | Printing from Vista to my Mac »