New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Boot Camp

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

moeshou

moeshou is on a distinguished road

i want to install windows XP on my mac.
My old computer came with recovery CD's for windows, and we dont use the computer anymore, its just lying there, OFF all the time not even pluged in.
Can i use the recovery CD's to install windows on it?
and if i can install windows on it will i loose all of my other files?

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
mac2life

mac2life is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz; 2GB Ram; Graphics: Intel GMA X3100

I am not sure if you can use the recovery CD to install Windows (You will want to find out about this first). However, if it does, you may want to use Boot Camp.

To install Windows via Boot Camp, follow the instructions from Boot Camp manual. http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Boo...tall-Setup.pdf
I followed pages 6 to 14 and it worked for me.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
brianwmay

brianwmay has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g

I'm about to be the proud owner of a new MBP. I've purchased a new copy of XP Pro to install via Bootcamp and/or Parallels Desktop (which I've bought too).

Question is: Can I use the same serial number that comes with the disk for both as I believe I can only use one at a time and it's on the same machine.

I read that Parallels can access the Bootcamp partition.

Has anyone addressed this issue at all?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwmay View Post
I'm about to be the proud owner of a new MBP. I've purchased a new copy of XP Pro to install via Bootcamp and/or Parallels Desktop (which I've bought too).

Question is: Can I use the same serial number that comes with the disk for both as I believe I can only use one at a time and it's on the same machine.

I read that Parallels can access the Bootcamp partition.

Has anyone addressed this issue at all?
Just install XP in boot camp then install Parallels.

Parallels will detect and use the boot camp partition and it's existing XP installation. I.e. The same copy of windows therefore 1 license, 1 serial. No fuss

mrplow
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeshou View Post
My old computer came with recovery CD's for windows, and we dont use the computer anymore, its just lying there, OFF all the time not even pluged in.

thanks
It's unlikely that you'll be able to use 'recovery CDs' to install XP into boot camp. Most are customised to a particular system. They tend to be disk images that are restored onto the drive to return it to a 'factory fresh' state rather than full XP install discs.

If you post the info from the front of the disc it may help identify what you have got there.
QUOTE Thanks
durkajosh

durkajosh is on a distinguished road

Recovery CD's will not work. It can't be an OEM CD as a lot of them will only work on specific hardware i.e. dell and as well is a violation of the license agreement.

It needs to be an install disc that has sp2 slipstreamed on it. Either retail, or ideally volume license (corporate) as there is no activation.
QUOTE Thanks
brianwmay

brianwmay has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g

Thanks, just the information I needed.

I presume that configuration also gives me the option to run XP Pro in native speed mode from BootCamp rather than in the Parallels emulation mode, should the application be too CPU intensive.

I DO however want the option to use Parallels' facilities too - side by side as it were.

Sorry if I have taken the spotlight off the original thread but I'm a complete newbie with Mac as one of the latest refugees from Bill Gates.
QUOTE Thanks
hexonxonx

hexonxonx will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeshou View Post

thanks
MY old 2.5 year old HP laptop came with an XP SP2 CD that was labled exactly as that. It didn't say that it was a restore disk at all and any drivers were included on a second CD for that laptop.

Because of this, I was able to use the XP CD to install on my MBP. It had a built in serial number but when I went to activate it, it told me the number was invalid. I then used the serial number that was on the bottom of the laptop and it activated.

If the CD is simply labeled Windows XP SP2, you can probably use it on your Mac. If it's labeled a restore CD, you can't.

20" iMac aluminum
13" MBP
3 iPhones
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

You can also buy and use a system builder's OEM disk and use that too - it's what I used, and it's much cheaper. Got mine at newegg.com. There are two kinds of OEM - system builder (which can be moved around) and the Dell/HP/Gateway/whatever disk, which normally can't. If you're buying XP, get the system builder version. Works like a charm.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Very long boot time (Mac OS 9.2.2) | Problems with Windows Vista »