New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

BootCamp Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Amanda

Amanda is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 1GB RAM 80 GB Combo Drive

I haven't bought my new MacBook yet so I am wondering how exactly Boot Camp works. Does it link to your Windows PC? If so, how? I've done some quick research and haven't found anything to clear my questions up.
QUOTE Thanks
snoslicer8

snoslicer8 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

Boot Camp doesn't connect to a Windows computer at all. You need to have a full retail version of XP SP2 or Vista to make it work. It actually splits your internal disk into separate partitions, and installs Windows on the empty one. When you reboot your computer, you can hold down the 'Option' key to decide which OS to boot into.

MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White
QUOTE Thanks
Amanda

Oh! So basically, I cannot run my Windows XP (what I'm using now) unless I have the disk for it? My computer never came with a disk so that's unfortunate but I'm not sure that I would use Boot Camp anyways unless I wanted to play a game.
QUOTE Thanks
snoslicer8

Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

Correct, you can't use your current XP install from the PC. Your Windows license is ONLY licensed to the machine it came installed on.

I must admit, I've installed Windows 3 times through Boot Camp, and deleted it every time for "non-use." FWIW.

MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White
QUOTE Thanks
Amanda

If I had an old QuickRestore or a System Recovery CD, I would imagine that wouldn't work?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Nope, you'll need either a retail or OEM copy to install Windows through Boot Camp.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Amanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Nope, you'll need either a retail or OEM copy to install Windows through Boot Camp.
I just found a CD called Compaq Operating System CD (Windows XP Home). That is an OEM, correct?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I mean OEM for System Builders, not OEM like Compaq. Here's an example:

Windows XP Home SP2 OEM

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
svnipp

svnipp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoslicer8 View Post
Correct, you can't use your current XP install from the PC. Your Windows license is ONLY licensed to the machine it came installed on.

I must admit, I've installed Windows 3 times through Boot Camp, and deleted it every time for "non-use." FWIW.
I'm honestly curious about this... I don't believe that the Windows license is bound to a specific computer. I mean, you never link it to a serial number of any kind. I believe that the Windows license is simply restricted to a single active copy on any system. For instance, I am moving my XP SP2 Home edition install from my old dead PC to my Mac. I think this is legal and and within the license agreement.

If anyone could respond to this that would be great. I'm absolutely not trying to argue about violating any kind of license agreement here. I really just have an honest question about this.

Scott
One happy switcher!
Mac Pro single Quad core/GeForce 8800 GT/2GB
QUOTE Thanks
snoslicer8

Quote:
Originally Posted by svnipp View Post
I'm honestly curious about this... I don't believe that the Windows license is bound to a specific computer. I mean, you never link it to a serial number of any kind. I believe that the Windows license is simply restricted to a single active copy on any system. For instance, I am moving my XP SP2 Home edition install from my old dead PC to my Mac. I think this is legal and and within the license agreement.

If anyone could respond to this that would be great. I'm absolutely not trying to argue about violating any kind of license agreement here. I really just have an honest question about this.
I'm not saying that installing your Compaq/HP/Sony/Whatever's restore disc on another computer WOULDN'T work because of serial number issues. I'm saying that manufacturer OEM copies often have the company and computer model number built into the license agreement, meaning that you're violating the agreement if you run a Sony restore disc on an HP machine, or such things.

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

snoslicer is correct. You can't transfer Windows licenses from computers like Dell, HP, etc. However, if you had bought a retail or OEM copy and installed it on one machine, you are most definitely able to transfer that to another machine, as long as you remove it from the first machine.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ejecting CD During BootCamp Install... | Ram Usage »