New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

mini - What DVD Burners Can I Use?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacHelp

MacHelp is on a distinguished road

Please if anyone can just tell me which DVD Burners i can use with my Mini Mac. Can i use any? If so, which one should i get.....

Also if i plug a DVD Burner into my Mini Mac will it just notice it and enable me to Burn a disc straight away or will i have to assign each program to use that drive......Please any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated! Thanks..

Here is one i am thinking of getting. Is it a good idea?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...t%3EWRITER.htm
QUOTE Thanks
MacHelp

MacHelp is on a distinguished road

Come on guys, please any information will do!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

Makes no mention of Mac compatibility only Windows.

Why not use a drive Apple use in their machines such as Pioneer, LG or Matsui?

The Mini will notice it if it is compatible and/or software installed from the CD. You will be able to burn a disc using Disk Utility, Toast and other applications.

Do a Google.
QUOTE Thanks
Clairejr

Clairejr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo, PPC G4

If you're using an external FW drive, stay clear of a USB only DVD drive. I have an external LG DVD drive and it won't work on USB if I have a FW drive connected to my Mini. Luckily, my DVD drive also has a FW port - it works fine with FW.

LaCie has a good reputation for Mac-compatible drives. EZQuest also has Mac-compatible drives that come with software for the Mac.

Another warning - check that the drive is hot pluggable. Not all DVD drives are (mine isn't) and that can prove to be an inconvenience if you don't want your DVD drive connected all the time.

If you find a drive that you like, contact the manufacturer directly for information on Mac support. Some manufacturers, like Samsung, will tell you that they don't support Mac computers. I'd stay clear of those products.

Claire

Claire Rottenberg
Homepage: Mac Tips and More
Follow me on Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
watfordkev

watfordkev is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 duo, 1GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM running Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHelp View Post
Come on guys, please any information will do!
Am I reading this right - this message was posted seven minutes after the original posting?

have a good time. all the time.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wrist/Arm Pain - Mouse recommendations? | Looking for All-In-One printer that works with Leopard »