New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

1989 Goodness, my new notetaking machine! - 56k Warning!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sprtnbsblplya

sprtnbsblplya is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4ghz SR, 256m 8600gt, 640gb HD, 3gb RAM

Scored this bad boy for $40 on my local Craigslist, reported to be booting fine with some design software on it that a local power line engineering company had been using in the early 90's. It is in great condition, not a scratch on it, has the 40mb SCSI HD, 3.5" floppy disk driver, and original case.
All I gotta do is either get a Powerbook 100 AC adapter or replace the worn cells in the battery and I have a fully functional Macintosh Portable!

To be honest, it will probably end up on eBay within the week after I get the Powerbook 100 adapter in, I dont see myself using this thing too much.

QUOTE Thanks
Blade753

Blade753 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iBook G3, 500MHz, CD-ROM, 12"

Whats that thing weigh? 20 lbs. Nice score, I want one
QUOTE Thanks
sprtnbsblplya

Don't have a scale available, but I have been told ~17 lbs.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

THat's cool, I have an SE30 in the attik that runs system 7

I am keeping it just to keep old macs alive

heres your specs

http://lowendmac.com/pb/macintosh-portable.html

Original price $6500 !!!!!! (that's 10,600 dollars in todays money)
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

I remember that Mac. Back then I could not even afford a Mac leave alone that portable one, but always wanted one.

I still have my SE also with System 7 and 4 Megs RAM. Runs quite well.
QUOTE Thanks
sprtnbsblplya

Just found out the two expansion cards are the optional Kingston memory module to add more RAM (according to the site you linked to it bumped it up to 9MB) and the optional Apple Computer 2400 modem.

Hmm, wonder if that modem will let me get it on the internet?
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Pretty cool. I wish I had kept my very first computer to hang on to, but I've always had a financial need, so they have to go out when the new comes in.

I think I'm going to box up and closet my MBP whenever I get a new computer. Maybe my iPhone too. they'll be fun to pull out in 20-some years.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Blade753

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
Pretty cool. I wish I had kept my very first computer to hang on to, but I've always had a financial need, so they have to go out when the new comes in.

I think I'm going to box up and closet my MBP whenever I get a new computer. Maybe my iPhone too. they'll be fun to pull out in 20-some years.
Yeah, it will be cool to see what you think of it in 5 10 or 20 years, maybe it will be the Mac classic of 2008 by then
QUOTE Thanks
sprtnbsblplya

Any mac collectors in here able to comment on what I should ask for this thing?
I have a Macintosh Portable collector/refurbisher/reseller from Cali offering to buy it, and wants to know my bottom line on it.
QUOTE Thanks
Blade753

At least a hundred. Maybe 75 if you want to be generous
QUOTE Thanks
sprtnbsblplya

Really?
I was thinking more along the lines of what this one went for,
http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Macintosh-...QQcmdZViewItem,
since the hardware is identical, and that one does not even power up.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtnbsblplya View Post
I have a Macintosh Portable collector/refurbisher/reseller from Cali offering to buy it, and wants to know my bottom line on it.
I will do some checking and get back to you.

I own a Powerbook 170 which is part of the first line up of notebooks after that Mac Portable. Still works perfectly also!! I paid $400 used 8 years ago now.

QUOTE Thanks
Blade753

Quote:
Really?
I was thinking more along the lines of what this one went for,
http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Macintosh-...QQcmdZViewItem,
since the hardware is identical, and that one does not even power up.
That guy must have really wanted it, what I would do is put a Buy it now price at around $250 and then have the Best offer thing on so they can "make" their own price, either way you win.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Quote:
It's though to say with things like that because there's no established market for it and any value derived is 100% personal/sentimental.

Since the $300 Ebay price is about your only reference, I would start with that by showing him that auction and negotiate from there.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
KeatMP

KeatMP is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.2GHz 2GB RAM 120 GB HD 15" NVidia 8800MGT 128MB - iPhone 3G

That thing is as old as I am!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Rocket Scientist Needed.... | Missing profile »