New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

External HDD question - Mac Vs. Windows compatibility when it's the same computer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Joker_Smilez

Joker_Smilez is on a distinguished road

So, I'm planning on getting a MBP in about a month to replace my last gen. G5 20" iMac and I'll be getting an external HDD to make up for the smaller HDD in the MBP as well as to back up some important stuff.

I'm planning on partitioning the MBP HDD with OSX on one side for most use and Windows XP on the other for gaming and some other specific uses.

Anyway, I have 2 questions.

1.) Does the Ex. HDD still need to be formatted to FAT32 for both to be able to read/write to the drive? I know I can get software for one side or the other if I'd rather have it formatted in HFS+ or NTFS but I'm curious if the Windows side could read/write to HFS+ because it's on a Mac (doubtful, but I'm curious).

2.) When using Time Machine for backup in Leopard, would it back up the entire drive or just the Mac partition leaving me with a unbacked up Windows partition? Also, does Time Machine care about which format the drive is in when backing up?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_Smilez View Post
1.) Does the Ex. HDD still need to be formatted to FAT32 for both to be able to read/write to the drive? I know I can get software for one side or the other if I'd rather have it formatted in HFS+ or NTFS but I'm curious if the Windows side could read/write to HFS+ because it's on a Mac (doubtful, but I'm curious).
You can get 3rd-party software for Windows to enable it to read HFS+ volumes, though I personally wouldn't want Windows (and all the baggage it brings with it) full write access to my OS X volume.

Out of the box, OS X can read NTFS volumes, and read/write/format FAT32 volumes. Avoid FAT32 like the plague, unless you really want to risk what happened to this guy:
My EXT hhd problem - NEED help badly

Read this next link for my ongoing rant on FAT32's limitations and what you need to install to get OS X to have write access to NTFS instead for free:
goint to pull my hair out
QUOTE Thanks
dakineyj

dakineyj will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_Smilez View Post

2.) When using Time Machine for backup in Leopard, would it back up the entire drive or just the Mac partition leaving me with a unbacked up Windows partition? Also, does Time Machine care about which format the drive is in when backing up?
From what I understand Time Machine will only back up what's on your mac to an external hard drive and will not back up an external. Also it will not back any windows partitions such as those used with boot camp, parallels and others.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« razer tarantula keyboard | Bluetooth Mighty mouse and problems with Vista »