New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Brother MFC work with Leopard?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

savagehenry

savagehenry will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Powerbook G4, iPhone

I have a Brother Multi-function (MFC-6800) from about 2002 that I wanted to use as a scanner with my Powerbook running Leopard. It recognizes the printer aspect of it when I plug it into USB, but I cannot figure out how to get it to recognize the scanner. The Drivers/install disk is "Classic" and thus will not open in 10.5.

I did a forum seach here and then tried VueScan, but that didn't seem to find the scanner either.

Anybody got any advice? In the event I am up-the-creek, any recommedations on a good affordable scanner? (photo and document)

Thanks, Arne
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Did you try to open the Image Capture application in the applications folder?

Edit: Vuescan does not support any Brother scanners. Just checked.

I found this driver. See if it will work. All I can find so far.

http://www.scanner-drivers.com/drivers/151/151472.htm
QUOTE Thanks
EORI

EORI has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD

Brother has an updated driver and utility software package that's OS 10.5 compatible:

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...=English&dlid=

I would suggest installing this first. I just installed an updated Brother MFC driver/utility package on my father's computer yesterday, and did not need to install any third-party scanner software (his MFC originally came with one). If this new package is anything like that, you shoud be fine with just this.

Happy to be back to a Mac
QUOTE Thanks
savagehenry

savagehenry will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Powerbook G4, iPhone

Thanks much for the info, I was able to get it working pretty well.

It is really nice to have a resource like this where problems can be solved with a little friendly advice. Your assistance actually had a fairly positive impact on my day. ~I was ready to get my pickaxe back out the way my day was going....

Thanks again !!!!

Arne
QUOTE Thanks
EORI

EORI has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD

Glad it all worked out well for you Arne.

Happy to be back to a Mac
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« want to attach scsi tape drive | Initialized external hard drive on windowsPC »