New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Monitors with iMac-Like Glossy Screen?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I have just purchased a new MacBook Pro with the glossy screen and I am loving it. The only problem is that suddenly, the monitor I am using on my "main Mac" (a PowerMac G5) looks far less appealing by comparison. Like most monitors, I guess it is the "matte" type.

Does anyone know of other monitor manufacturer/models that have the same sort of glossy screen as the iMac and MacBook Pro?

It might just be time to replace my monitor. Curse this MacBook Pro for showing me a better way!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Erexxx

Erexxx is on a distinguished road

The ones that immediately come to mind are HP and Samsung. Both have a selection on models and sizes. Go to a Best Buy or a Circut City and take a look. And there a lot cheaper!
QUOTE Thanks
EORI

EORI has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD

I know what you mean. I thought I wouldn't like my glossy 24" iMac screen, but I love it. Here's an option for you : http://www.apple.com/displays/specs.html
QUOTE Thanks
Ghostshadow

Ghostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook G3 - You'll be missed.

I would definitely look at the samsungs, the build and display quality on them are fab. The cinema displays are still matte. I think they will stay that way for quite some time. You might look into a glossy "film" resin. I believe they are available for purchase. Basically a glossy screen is a matte screen with a thick glossy plastic film, the film is actually just adhered on top of the "matte / glass".

QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future

Thanks for the pointers folks.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
QUOTE Thanks
anmoldagreat

anmoldagreat has a little shameless behaviour in the past

theres more to the imac screen then just glossy
it uses an ips panel which is basically the best out there for colors

you find that w/o buying either an acd, imac, or some 1000+ monitor

macbook pro. 2007wfp. 40d. 17-55 2.8. e71. etc...
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmoldagreat View Post
theres more to the imac screen then just glossy
it uses an ips panel which is basically the best out there for colors

you find that w/o buying either an acd, imac, or some 1000+ monitor
I can't help agreeing with you. After all the responses here plus some more research, I have decided that the best way to get a display like the iMacs is to get it on an iMac! Accordingly, at some point in this coming year, I will have to take the plunge and get a 24" iMac.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Red light on Power adapter | Deciding between 2Gig or 4Gig RAM for my iMac. »