New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

MacBook Pro - Reformat External Hardrive into FAT32 using Disk Utility

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Zabumafu

Zabumafu is on a distinguished road

Can anyone give me step by step instructions on how to reformat my G-Drive Mini into Fat32 format using Disk Utility on a MBP?

I have tried forever and cant seem to get it to work.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

1. Open Disk Utility
2. Click on the name of the drive in the left panel
3. Click Erase over towards the upper/middle right
4. Select MSDOS under 'Volume Format'
5. Click 'Erase' Button

I am guessing you already tried that though???
QUOTE Thanks
DodgeViper

DodgeViper is on a distinguished road

This worked for me. I had made the mistake of taking my portable Seagate 500g drive and formatting to work on the Mac and then was not able to use on my PC. I reformatted the Seagate in Disk Utilities using MS-DOS of which allowed me to see the drive on my PC. Next I reformated the Seagate to NTFS format on the PC and was able to recover using the HD on my PC.

The problem I am having is Mac will allow me to use a HD if formatted in FAT32 but I can not copy and paste large files such as movies from my PC onto the drive that is formatted in FAT32. On the flip side of this I can copy and paste movies to the HD when formatted to NTFS but the Mac will not see the HD...

So I can't have the best of both worlds. I have installed the DIVX player on my Mac but can't seem to find the path when using Utorrent to download the movies to the Seagate drive when it was formatted to the OSx format.

I would really like to be able to use the Seagate to store HD movies I have downloaded and play from my Mac to my Plasma...

MacBook 13"
Iphone 3G/8G
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The answer is to reformat the drive to NTFS and then purchase "Paragon NTFS" from Paragon software. A bargain at $39.95 normal price. It's currently on sale this weekend for $9.95! It also includes Mac browser software which allows you to go the other way.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

How big are your movie files? Isn't the limit on FAT32 like 4gb?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Connecting Macbook to External Screen | backup hard drive questions »