New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Sleep problems with HP printer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Ok, here's my problem:
I recently got a HP Deskjet 840C printer, which works fine with my Mac. The only trouble I have is that, if I leave it's USB connector plugged in (it's plugged into the keyboard), my Mac won't stay in sleep mode. When I put it to sleep, it goes to sleep mode, but directly wakes up again. It makes no difference if the printer is turned on or off.
The only thing that works is unplug the printer, put the Mac to sleep, and plug the printer back in again...but that's not really the way it should be, and it's annoying.

I have no other USB ports free, as one of the Mac's port has the keyboard, and the other has an Audio/MIDI interface.
I can't connect the Audio interface through a hub, because of audio latency problems, and I read somewhere that the keyboard should always be connected directly to the Mac, to avoid problems with the mouse (connected to the keyboard, due to it's short cable)

Any thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

No ideas??? :confused:
QUOTE Thanks
iSheep

Open the HP software/preferences or something of that nature. On my deskjet 5550 there are a few options about sleeping and standby modes.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

As it is quite an old printer, all I have is the Apple driver, no HP software. Did check at HP, but all they had was a newer driver, no software...
thanx anyway
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem sending e-mail | external harddrive »