New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Streaming content from OS X to TV

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Wheeljack

Wheeljack will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.53GHz, 6GB of RAM, Seagate Momentus XT 500GB (late 2008)

Here's the deal:

I have a ton of video content that I'd like to playback on my TV. It's not on iTunes, and it's mostly DivX/XviD (you know what I'm talking about...) and I'd like to be able to watch it on my TV.

The computer with the external drive where the media is stored is upstairs, and the TV is in the living room downstairs. I want a device that'll let me access all my media from the mac and display it on the TV, with content navigation (a la Apple TV). So I need something wireless.

I don't want an Apple TV because it would mean converting all my stuff to MPEG4 and it doesn't support subtitles (.srt). I don't live in the US so all the TV magic and iTunes would be kinda lost.

So my question is, does such a device exist?

 Wheeljack
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

I think there are devices that will let you do that. I don't know of any specifically. Sorry

You could always buy a mini and put all the alias' from your computer in the movies folder of the mini and watch everything through Front Row. I've watched DIVX movies through Front Row no problem.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
Wheeljack

Wheeljack will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.53GHz, 6GB of RAM, Seagate Momentus XT 500GB (late 2008)

Yeah, that's a good idea. An old mini should probably do it, right?
Using FrontRow I would be able to access my iTunes library and playlist, my pictures.. everything.

 Wheeljack
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Haha, I actually figured you'd want to crack me up side the head for suggesting a mini because they're 2x as expensive as an AppleTV.
I really like Front Row. Integration with your current machine would be quite simple. You would gain the ability to surf MF and other cool sites from your couch.
Luckily, my computer is close enough to my TV so I don't need a mini, otherwise, I would pick up a used mini over the AppleTV any day.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple SODIMM prices... are they CRAZY?! (yes) | Need Help Installing External DVD Burner »