New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

WD Passport HD....help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bearded_trout

bearded_trout is on a distinguished road

Hi, i recently bought a western digital passport HD (the small black shiny ones) for my macbook pro. It was working fine one night then the next morning it wouldn't work!! It says:

'The disc you inserted was not readable by this computer'

Also in disc utility its says the disc is 2TB which would be pretty for a portable exernal

Any ideas?
Cheers,
Sam
QUOTE Thanks
srizvi1

srizvi1 is on a distinguished road

same exact problem here. Any ideas on what to do? In my Google Search, I came across this:

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-623...228174&start=0
QUOTE Thanks
srizvi1

srizvi1 is on a distinguished road

I Thought i'd post an update..

I've posted about this problem in a few places:
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Probl...e-t180112.html
http://websupport.wdc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6764

From the geekstogo, it was suggested that my master boot record might be messed up. i'm waiting to hear some more details back on that.

I scrolled through the advice here:
http://websupport.wdc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4464

And went to:
http://support.wdc.com/download/?cxml=n&pid=33&swid=22

And downloaded Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows. I don't have admin privileges on my work computer but was able to install at least some derivation of this program. Windows XP detects the external hard drive but won't let me see the contents on Windows Explorer. However, the Data Lifeguard program let's me see two 80gb hard drives with a SMART status of PASS. However, whenever I go to try and click on any of the drives to do a quick test, it says Cable Test::Read diagnostics sector error! I click ok and it says Cable Test failed ! Please check the cables.

I've tried 3 diff USB cables including the short one that came with the unit. I'm really wondering (and hoping) that the problem is in this mini usb to S ATA board. I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to switch this out?
QUOTE Thanks
OmniKnight

OmniKnight is an unknown at this point

bumping this to the top. I'm having this exact same issue. I've tried everything posted and and in the links provided.

tried going to the wd website and downloading their tool - the pos didn't even recognize the hd was plugged into the windows machine.

they also didn't have anything related to repairing master boot record on their site. i feel like there may be a manual way to do this, but i have no idea where to start.

any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
OmniKnight

OmniKnight is an unknown at this point

Another side note - I would be content with just getting the data off, and then taking this thing to the rifle range.

I tried Stellar Phoenix on it, to no avail. It recognizes the disk, but at 0kb... and when you attempt to start a raw data recovery it automatically aborts.

If nothing else, perhaps someone could recommend a different data recovery tool that might handle this situation (and that won't cost me an arm and a leg)?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bluetooth keyboard with trackpad advice! | FM Transmitter »