New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Power Mac - Sonnet encore st 1.8

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

steadadelica

steadadelica is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G4 sawtooth sonnet encore st 1.8GHz, 1.5GB Ram + MacBook 2.4GHz, 4GB runing OS 10.5.6

iv just got hold of one of these secondhand, i have the processor the fan and heat sink, is there anything else i need to install it? (it's defiantly compatible)

thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

I would check Sonnet's site but it should just go right in and work. Some aftermarket CPU's have an Enabler on a CD so the OS will report the correct CPU Speed. GigaDesign does that. Also you might check to see if the Firmware is up to date. There should be info on your CPU on the Sonnet Homepage.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

As dtravis7 suggest first make sure firmware is up to date, probably version 4.2.8f1 for your machine. If you do not have the update already installed for running OS X, it needs to be downloaded and installed whilst still in OS 9.

On the Sonnet site there may be a downloadable video on the install of the upgrade card. Just a matter of removing the heat sink clips, sink and undoing three screws on your current processor, and replacing with the card and replacing screws and heat sink and power lead/s, if any.
QUOTE Thanks
steadadelica

Mac Specs: G4 sawtooth sonnet encore st 1.8GHz, 1.5GB Ram + MacBook 2.4GHz, 4GB runing OS 10.5.6

hello one and all,

i have just received a secondhand sonnet encore st g4 1.8 processor, when i try to install it the computer starts to boot, the fan on the processor starts up but there is nothing else, not even the initial booting sound. when i put my old card back in it works fine. i have a sneaking suspicion that my processor does not work and is in fact DoA but im hoping that someone can tell me other wise?

any suggestions would be great!

steadadelica
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

You have the Power Mac in your specs? A 400Mhz Sawtooth G4?

Did you check the Sonnet site for a manual on the CPU? You might need to upgrade the firmware. Will do some checking on the Sonnet site and see what I can find.

Is this the CPU you have?

http://store1.sonnettech.com/product...roducts_id=150

Edit, Check the 2nd one down on this page, the firmware updater. You might need to update first then install the CPU. All I can find so far. Hope it helps.

http://www.sonnettech.com/support/do...rescendoencore
QUOTE Thanks
steadadelica

i thought it was a sawtooth a while ago but have since found out that it is an agp model, i knew this before i bought the upgrade.

yup, that (http://store1.sonnettech.com/product...roducts_id=150) is the processor im working with

the manual is straight forward enough, just swap them over it says. i installed the both the cache and the firmware upgrade to no avail, i might try and swap it over again later on but i have a funny feeling that its dead?

i might, out of desperation, run a skeleton system by unplugging peripheral HD's but i don't think it will help much?

thanks for your help, any more insight would be great
QUOTE Thanks
MikeM

MikeM has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3

Sounds DOA to me.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly what model is it precisely your G4? 400MHz were made in PCI Graphics, Sawtooth and Gigabit Ethernets. The PCI is not suitable for using the upgrade on, only the latter two.

It is necessary to upgrade the firmware, which should read from Apple Profiler '/About this Mac' 4.2.8 with probably f1 after it.

If the machine is one of the latter two, is up to date with the firmware, then think DOA.
QUOTE Thanks
redsoxreed

redsoxreed is on a distinguished road

i have a sonnet processor and it came with a special extension that you are supposed to use
also, maybe reset your PRAM?
QUOTE Thanks
steadadelica

as far as i can tell it is a sawtooth/AGP; i think this is so as the graphics card is inserted into a brown socket and the audio sockets are vertically aliened, i am aware that the pci model had horizontally aliened sockets and a cream coloured slot for the graphics card. i also checked a at command prompt and the mother board is capable of taking a duel processor if required?

although i must confess, i didn't in stall the firmware correctly the first time! however now tha i am trying to install it i get the message

"unrecognised rom
boot section 0xdc61c45e
Recovery section 0x628f2a26
Main section 0x9e7db197

this message was displayed when running the upgrade during a normal boot and after i booted from prompt ('mac-boot") in programmer mode, do i need to run the firmware from somewhere else, or boot differently from prompt?

when i chck my current boot rom is 3.2.4f.

oh and how do i reset my pram?

my goodness im useless!

thanks guys
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

That is a Sawtooth. If it was a Gigabit it would have Gigabit Ethernet (1000BaseT) and you are correct that the Yikes (PCI) has the audio jacks side by side.

To Reset the PRAM Hold Command+Option+P+R all at the same time right after the startup sound. Keep them down and you should hear it restart and the restart sound again. Let it do that 2 times after the first startup sound then let go.

I am wondering if when you flashed the Firmware the first time the wrong way it messed things up?

Have to get some sleep but will get back tomorrow.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Okay the firmware for your Sawtooth should be 4.2.8. To install firmware updates you need to be running OS 9, without the CPU upgrade, go to the Apple web site and download that update and run as per their instructions including using the programmer's button on restart.

When System profiler shows the firmware is okay, install OS X and then fit the upgrade.

Keep us posted.
QUOTE Thanks
steadadelica

im having trouble locating a copy of os 9.2, i have contacted some local mac technicians and they have been less than useful; the cheapest quote for just instaling os 9 is £20 (British Pounds).

I have look on ebay and there seems to be some options but nothing for certain, does any one have any suggestions where i can lay my hands on a bootable copy of os9.2? so i can then install the firmware, or better still a way of running classic on os x (i dont have the disk!!!!!)
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

You may be able to find on eBay the original install set for a Sawtooth which will include 9.2.2. Sadly you in England and myself in Australia are really 'out of the loop' when it comes to mainland USA goods and prices.

Are you a member of any UK MUG's, Macintosh User Groups, who may be able to assist? Do a Google for local groups.
QUOTE Thanks
steadadelica

i have just installed a sonnet encore st 1.8GHz in to my sawtooth and it works great, well almost .... if i run apps in firefox like nestled windows with video or the pro chess app on facebook the machine will freeze all of a sudden after using the app for a while and if there was sound playing i get a glitchey playback of the last split second (somtimes i get i just when running word 2008!?)

when i installed the processor i went through all the updates?

however, i havn't reinstalled tiger?

my gut say its something to do with the cache on the new processor or the virtual memory? but i don't know enough to be sure, please help!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Major Problem with usb mouse | Unplugged External without Ejecting- Now What »