New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

sony mp3 a no-go on macs :(

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cdnphotog

cdnphotog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, iTouch, iPad, iPhone 3GS..waiting for iPhone5 or 6?

crap now I need to get a new mp3 player.. DO I have to get an ipod? are there other mp3 players that are compatible? I hear the i-river works?
QUOTE Thanks
PinkLemonade

PinkLemonade has a spectacular aura about

If you don't mind me asking, whats wrong with an iPod?
QUOTE Thanks
bd-in-pdx

bd-in-pdx is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.33 MBP, 3gb ram, not enough disk space, iPod Classic, iPhone, techno-addiction

Send Sony an email asking why they don't support macs. It's not Apple that's the problem here. And check to see if an application like Limewire might be able to manage your music files on your Sony. I know there's a few applications available (freeware/shareware) with built-in media library management features. Limewire's library works decently, I don't know if it'll support an mp3 player since I've never tried, but if you can still mount the mp3 player like a hard drive then Limewire might not have a problem recognizing it as another hard drive to put and find music.
QUOTE Thanks
Kyomii

Kyomii will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4

Yes, I agree its Sony. Last year we bought a Sony HD hard drive video camera. To cut a long story short, the software supplied was for Windows. IMovie HD/QT/iDVD did not work becuase of Sony's proprietary format.

Sony offered a link in their instruction booklet for the Mac software for the camera (the same software they supply for Windows users), and guess, what - they wanted me to pay £55 for it!

No way was I paying Sony again after paying £££ for the camera, so downloaded visual hub, which cost me a tenner and does a lot more.

Why can they not just supply both formats! It's ridiculous. I know other Mac users who have sent these Sony cams back on principle.

Fondest regards, Kyomii

My Snapshots
QUOTE Thanks
MegaRoss

MegaRoss has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Whats wrong with the ipod, they aren't exactly expensive any more, they're fairly reliable. I broke several creative zens and a few other miscelaneous mp3s before i got an ipod, i've not actually broken one since.

Man of much music.
QUOTE Thanks
cdnphotog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLemonade View Post
If you don't mind me asking, whats wrong with an iPod?
the cost
QUOTE Thanks
cdnphotog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaRoss View Post
Whats wrong with the ipod, they aren't exactly expensive any more,.

well you are lucky b/c here they are! It's crazy a few hundred! nd that's not even the itouch! and the mini's aren't available here and they're suppose to less than $100?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

iPod Shuffle is $89 Can, the iPod Nano 4GB is $169 Can.
QUOTE Thanks
cdnphotog

I know.. try telling that to the stores here.. one store doesn't carry it the other is constantly sold out (go figure haha) may just order one online.

also does it have to be itunes? or can I upload any music on to an ipod?
QUOTE Thanks
ki99

ki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP

you have to use itunes to put the music on an ipod, but it can be any music that you have got, downloads are cds or anything..

also, with your sony mp3, can you not just drag the music files on it like a hard drive? or does it not even show up?
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

Sony is worse than Microsoft when it comes to interoperability. There are devices that I will not buy from Sony simply because it's not Mac compatible! Stupid of them!

HDD camcorder
Reader (eBook)

And what stinks is that Sony has the best technology/quality for the price in my opinion.
QUOTE Thanks
cdnphotog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki99 View Post
you have to use itunes to put the music on an ipod, but it can be any music that you have got, downloads are cds or anything..

also, with your sony mp3, can you not just drag the music files on it like a hard drive? or does it not even show up?

huh? it has to be itunes but I can use any cd or download??
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

try searching here.

http://anythingbutipod.com/

they may have a solution for your sony player. it's pretty hit and miss though. i have a sandisk player, and while some of them can use a third party app to help osx access them, mine is not supported yet.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
ki99

ki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnphotog View Post
huh? it has to be itunes but I can use any cd or download??
you can take cds and downloads and put them into itunes (just like any other media player) and then put them onto an ipod. it does not have to be music that you have purchased through the itunes store, but you have to have the songs in the itunes program to be able to put them on the ipod.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

But remember certain files, like .wma files, won't import into iTunes. Check the compatibility of your library with iTunes before taking the plunge.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External Display | Mighty Mouse Scroll Problems »