New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

what do you guys use your external hard drives for?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Irvin

Hey guys,
i wana know what everyone uses their external drives for. That will give me some ideas as to what i should use mine for most effectively.
More specefically, do you guys use for music with itunes, photos with iphoto, movies, whatever.
Just let us know what you use them for and how you use them for that! Thanks! :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I use mine specifically for backup only. With 160gb hard drive in my iMac, I don't need to store anything externally

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Bmode

Bmode is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 3.2ghz/4TB/16GBram - Mac Book Pro 2.4ghz Intel 2 duo core/4GBram/750GB

I have three 120GB external Western Digital Firewire drives, and I've never had an issue, other than I fill them up too quickly! I use them for capturing cartoons, TV shows, and more! I thought I might have some drop frames when capturing, but so far they've been pretty reliable at 7200rpm's!
QUOTE Thanks
jp_tix

i use my 180GB LaCie HD for the stuff i don't need when going out with my powerbook. for example backups, software, 40GB of music ...
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Since my powerbook only has 37 gb I use my 250gb external for all of my iTunes music, any concerts that I download (they are allowed by the bands I listen to), install some programs on them, backups

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
lar5one

My PB has a mere 40gb as well, so I use my LaCie drive for pretty much everything that's not software.
QUOTE Thanks
octohunter

I use mine for backup only. I run Retrospect to backup the entire system weekly and I also backup any modified files daily.

Just a tip- Run a virus scan before backing up. This way you wont also be backing up the virus that just destroyed your data of which you hope to have on your external.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

What virus?
QUOTE Thanks
rberry88

rberry88 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook

I use my internal 160GB hard drive for all my applications and some misc stuff and my 2 160GB external hard drives for : iTunes, iPhoto pictures, iDVD creations, Photoshop creations, my website, my Flash stuff, movies from DVD's and for backing up my internal drive.

Both of my external drives are from Lacie and they have been wonderful so far.

Looking for a PowerMac G4 for $500 or less USD.
QUOTE Thanks
QuickieMart

I have a Lacie FireWire 250gb drive for ProTools sessions, and a 30gb VST for backup stuff only. Lately though, they haven't been showing up on my desktop, along with my glyph burner,..... and I don't know why. This just started to happen. Mac site has been no help,.....any suggestions??
QUOTE Thanks
prophet

I'm going to be using mine for video storage when I start editing again (I use Adobe Premier, but I'm gonna start using Final Cut Pro 4 as soon as I figgure out how to use it).

And I'll probably get another one soon after that just to back up my iBook's harddisk and for other media storage (i.e. mp3s, movies I'm not editing, etc.)
QUOTE Thanks
jugadro

I partitioned 60GB of my LaCie 250GB External solely for backing up my ibook's 60 GB Hard drive (after losing it all recently).
The rest is for convenient access to lots of old photos - although haven't quite figured out how to easily switch between the iPhoto libraries on my internal and external drives.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Only for backup, I never have a high volume of personal files or programs so internal hard drive space is usually sufficient.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

its....ALIVE!!!!!!!

attack of the zombie thread....ack!

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
attack of the zombie thread....ack!
Wow, I didn't notice how old this thread was, there have been a lot of threads coming back from the dead lately.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External USB HD | Best way to sync a PocketPC to Mac? »