New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

internal dvd burner for g4 powermac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bkendall

bkendall is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G4 powermac

I am looking for an internal dvd burner. I have looked at the pioneer from mac warehouse but I saw on another forum that any dvd burner would work. This did not sound right to me so I wanted to ask the folks I trust.
QUOTE Thanks
bkendall

I actually looked on the bestbuy site this morning and found where someone had reviewed an internal pioneer drive and said that in their experience any of pioneer drive were compatible with a mac. So that is the second time that I have been steered towards the thought that any drive will work, is this true or are there things that make a drive compatible or incompatible?
QUOTE Thanks
bkendall

Does anyone have any insight at all on this issue?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

The pioneer drives are great and will work in a G4, works in mine, it was a 110D

Yes, some burners may not work, so go for the Pioneer drives
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

I purchases a Pioneer 112D from Macsales.com for $30 or so. It works great. You will need to go to patchburn.de and download the file there to get the burner to work properly with iLife apps but only if you are using 10.4 or lower. Leopard doesn't need Patchburn.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
bkendall

thanks so much fro the feedback that helps alot. I actually need the dvd drive that I can upgrade from panther.
QUOTE Thanks
bkendall

ok I picked up the pioneer internal drive over the weekend and I went to throw it in really quick so I could try it out and I am having a bit of trouble getting access to remove the old drive. it almost looks like I need to remove the power supply to enough room to get the old drive out. Does anyone have some tips that might make this a little easier?

I am using a power mac g4 quicksilver
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

Installed a Pioneer 115D 20X superdrive in my G4. It is great and a DL burner top boot. Cost OEM here in Australia was about $30.00. Just remove old DVD/CD player/burner, slip it in and connect power and IDE cables and your machine will recognize it as native.

Struth those power fittings are tight!

Here is a link to a how to:-

http://xlr8yourmac.com/G3-ZONE/hival52x/install.html

And a link to Apple's install guide for a Quicksilver:-

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75314
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« All in one printer question | Macworld »