New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

I can't find my External Hard Drive!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Weird Fish

Weird Fish will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Hello. I am running a MacBook Pro 120GB with Leopard 10.5.1.

I just got a 160GB Maxtor Hard Drive for Christmas yesterday, and it had been working great until this morning. I hit software update, and there was a Security Update I was missing. I let it do it's thing, restarted my computer, and logged back in. I could only see "Miss Machine" (My Internal Hard Drive). The Maxtor Hard Drive had been partitioned into "Mister Machine" and "Time Machine", but could not be found. I opened up Disk Utility, and there they were! (See attached image)

Why can I see the drive in Disk Utility, but I can't see it in Finder or even access it?

Please help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hard Drives.jpg (128.7 KB, 14 views)
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

never update with peripherals attached (except monitor, mouse, and keyboard if necessary).

i'm sure there's a fix besides reformatting.
if it were my drive i would probably start by hooking the thing up to a windows computer and deleting all the files that start with "." (period)

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
Weird Fish

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Oh man.

I didn't know you weren't supposed to do that.

Any idea of what I could do without reformatting?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Can you select the drive (Mister Machine) and click on the mount button? That should mount the drive.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

ooh, nice rman.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

Btw, why have you partitioned the external? Time Machine just creates it's own folder and works from there. I have had no issues with using Time Machine and also having my own folders on the drive...
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

The best reason I can think of for partitioning the back up drive is to keep the back up data separate from live data. An example would be is my external drive is 750GB and the drive I and backing up is only 100GB. I may want to use part of the external for something else.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

Well where's the logic in that? If your external drive goes corrupt, it's going to take all the partitions with it. Partitioning was required in the days of FAT32 (on PC at least) where there was a lot of fragmentation. Now with HFS that issue is almost non existent. So why restrict time machine to 100GB (in your case) when it could just as well fill up and you will have like two separate backup locations.

If in case you didn't get it, you can use the Time Machine drive as a normal external drive to store all your files in. You can move the drive between Macs and it still gives no problems.
QUOTE Thanks
Weird Fish

The reason I partitioned the drive was to let Time Machine have most of it, but still have 30ishGB partitioned so I could use it as a method of file-transferring between a Windows machine.

Does this make sense?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

Thats okay. It is that goobimama prefers one partition, whereas you perfer two. There is nothing wrong with that.

QUOTE Thanks
Weird Fish

How do I format one of the partitions to be visible by Windows?
QUOTE Thanks
bubba

bubba has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Fish View Post
How do I format one of the partitions to be visible by Windows?
FAT32 -- I think it's called MS-DOS in OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
vamz

vamz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook

yea FAT 32
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Which LCD TV to buy? | External HD »