New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

MacBook - Which mini-dvi cable is best for connecting macbook to external monitor?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PaulOleski

PaulOleski is on a distinguished road

I will be getting an external monitor to hook up to my macbook in the near future, and I was wondering which cable was best. I found this one:

Amazon.com.

The only issue I have with this one is, will it be long enough to reach the external monitor without limiting the set-up? I like it because its apple and white. I want one that obviously isn't too short, and at the same time doesn't have too much left over wire.

P
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Which one you need depends wholly on what connector is available on your TV. If you have a DVI port, then get the one you linked to. If you have a VGA port, then you're going to need to get the mini-DVI to VGA adapter.

The adapters aren't very long, a few inches at best. It was designed this way to allow you to buy a size of your choosing. This way you're not stuck with either extra cable or not having enough. I personally have a six foot cord for when I want to connect to a TV and it works great. Be sure to get one that has the same type of connector at the end

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
nirvana

nirvana has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch, Apple TV

I have that one the cable is tiny about 7cm long, i use it with just a cheap 1m VGA cable. Unless your extremely close to your monitor or your monitor has a long lead you will be needing an extension cable because too much tension on the converter will pop it right out since it's not a very secure connection.

Crack that whip…..liquorish whip.
QUOTE Thanks
PaulOleski

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Do you know if apple sells a longer cord?
QUOTE Thanks
nirvana

I couldn't find one on the Apple store and cable with the right VGa connection will work, mine only cost me about 3£

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

If you're going to have your external monitor relatively close to the Mac, then most likely the cable that comes with your monitor should be sufficient. If not, first check to see if the cable that comes out of your monitor is detachable. If it is, then you can replace it outright. If not, then you're looking at an extension. I would definitely suggest buying any cables online as retail prices are obscenely expensive.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
PaulOleski

Thanks so much for your help guys, much appreciated. have either of you experienced any problems running dual monitors?
QUOTE Thanks
nirvana

Nope, i currently have parallels os window on an external monitor and normal OSX on my laptop screen.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mighty...dead Mouse | Need Scanner Recommendations »