New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Does formating the hard disk decrease its life span?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

seasurfer

seasurfer is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 24'' iMac 2.8 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 500 GB HD. 15.4'' MBP, 2.6 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 200GB HD, iPhone 8GB.

Does formating the hard disk decrease its life span? Are there any solid research paper or statement that shows it?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

If you want to use a hard disk with any modern OS then you have to format it first... so I don't see the downside of it.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

It would have said just using it shortens its life span. I've even seen em dead straight out of the box unused........but no not anything that you could measure.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks
jdgti

jdgti will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM

I can't find a paper, but I am pretty sure it is healthy to format your hard drive every once in a while.
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

If you assume the drive can write an arbitrary fixed amount before it fails - in the same way you might measure the life of your liver - then yes, but formatting is no different to writing any other data to it and doesn't affect the life of the drive any differently.

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Am personally still using a 40GB WD drive that is now at least 8 yrs old as one of the backups on my XP machine.

That drive has seen a change in Operating System, partition format, change in partition sizes, etc., a minimum of 75-100 times I would guess.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

Funny things, hard drives. The MTBF (mean time between failures) can be 500,000 hours. Seagate makes a model which brags 1.2 million hours which is longer than any of us will be alive. And yet I have seen them dead out of the box.
There are different types of reformatting also. The simplest one, erasing the directory, is pretty harmless. But doing a full 35 pass security erase is quite the aerobic workout. If a drive is going to fail, it might not make it through that. Similarly, many drives have failed because system installs are also quite demanding.
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlie View Post
- in the same way you might measure the life of your liver -
That's the last time I'll reformat my liver, and at eggnog-and-rum time, too, worse luck!

I think it's making crackling noises. How do I back it up before it fails?
QUOTE Thanks
PerryLynch

PerryLynch has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro 4GB

I doubt that any of us will be able to reformat a hard drive enough times to make it fail from that alone. That being said, all of us are going to buy an unlucky drive with a short life span at least once each decade.

If your hard drive is making noises, or if you haven't done a backup in a while, the simple thing to do is simply copy your documents, photos, and other important data to DVD or an external hard drive.

Typically, I don't waste my time making backups of applications, as they can be reinstalled using your existing original media. I only want the data - the stuff that I created and have no other copies of. Be sure to include your email directories and photo libraries as well.

Also remember, making backup copies is great, but failing to make sure they work properly can cost you. Once in a while, take your archive media and try to access the files contained within it. Make sure that you can access and open your documents. Otherwise, you're still waiting on a disaster.

Good luck,
Perry

Perry M Lynch, CISSP CISA
Mac Newbie, Security not-so-newbie
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryLynch View Post
Also remember, making backup copies is great, but failing to make sure they work properly can cost you. Once in a while, take your archive media and try to access the files contained within it. Make sure that you can access and open your documents. Otherwise, you're still waiting on a disaster.
Word. In particular, don't rely on CD-Rs and CD-RWs for backups. CD-RWs are the worst of the two and can become unusable in less than two years.

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« problems with vodafone mobile connect | HD survived sw »