New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

External Hard drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jacintosh

jacintosh can only hope to improve

I bought a seagate 200gb external hd off of eBay for a steal. Ya...steal alright. It said it was for Mac 9.0 and above. I checked the software for the pc's...because it also said that the Mac wouldn't need any of the drivers on the disk...anyway....it's from 2003. It's USB connection, and one of the pins broke trying to connect. It glows green, blue and red...hey...I've 58 years old, and I don't need a spaceship for an external hard drive. Anyway, the pin broke off and the cord is useless....I don't even know what I can or want to do with it. Anyone want it cheap? Just needs a new usb cord. $50! I paid, like #$120 or something. Anyway, I want something easy, not sticking out...kind of small....at leat 200gb...any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

If the USB cable itself has a broken pin and not the connector on the drive, why don't you just replace the cable? You can get them pretty cheap online

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
jacintosh

It has a round connection with three pins on one side and two pins on the other...one pin broke from the three.....
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacintosh View Post
It has a round connection with three pins on one side and two pins on the other...one pin broke from the three.....
That almost sounds more like a power cord.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
jacintosh

Sorry, it is the power cord. I'm not very up on all the terminology as it relates to external drives. So, is that also something that I can purchase? I just am concerned that when I installed the cd, nothing happened. I opened the disk, and it had a ton of folders...all including the same junk....they said I didn't need any of this because mac didn't need the drivers...but time machine couldn't find it.
QUOTE Thanks
jacintosh

Okay....I've had this external drive hooked up to my MBP for almost 4 years, and on the page of cascading folders, shows three folders and they are all of the desktop...which is empty. I just don't get it.
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacintosh View Post
Okay....I've had this external drive hooked up to my MBP for almost 4 years, and on the page of cascading folders, shows three folders and they are all of the desktop...which is empty. I just don't get it.
Would you mind giving us more details about your problem?
QUOTE Thanks
jacintosh

Plugged in my Lacie Mini drive and it asked it I wanted Time Machine to connect to the external drive. I did, and, after about 5 hours, there are five cascading folders of the desktop and that is it. About 1 folder per hour, and no actual files.
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Time machine backs up every hour (by default)... you are clicking TimeMachine while you are focused on the Desktop... If you didn't have/change/delete a file o nthe desktop anytime during the last 5 hrs... then you will see now changes in the cascading windows within TimeMachine

To see some changes...

Open a window/folder of a file that you know has changes in it pretty regularly... now click time machine... you will see the last 5 hours in 1 hour increments of THAT folder.
QUOTE Thanks
jacintosh

So....if I just let it run for 5 hours....and the 5 folders saying desktop with nothing in it....means that it will only show any changes? Because when I manually open the folder, all the files are in there. I can see it when I view with cover flow. Should I delete four of those five hours? I'm not aggressively adding and deleting where I need hourly updates anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
jacintosh

Well....the macie mini hard drive works slick as slick can be....go to an application...if there's been changes....click time machine...and BAM....there is your history of that application. It's fun just to play with it. I doubt that I'll be hooking it up everyday...but if I want to take some risks....it's nice to know that I can play it safe.....this mini is perfect for the mac mini...but it works nice with my MBP too. The colors totally match....I just need to get a longer firewire...the one that comes with it...is meant to hook up with a mini.
QUOTE Thanks
jacintosh

How do you reformat an external hard drive that is set up for a pc?
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Use disk utility. Its in the utilities folder.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
jacintosh

I bought an external hard drive for my son and I'm told I have to reformat the hard drive. Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
EuphLlama

EuphLlama is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac - MacBook Pro - iPhone - Nano - Touch

Plug it into your computer and see if it reads.

Computer & TV: MacBook Pro 15-inch, Intel 2.2. iMac 20-inch, Intel 2.4. AppleTV 40G
iPod: Nano black 4G, Touch 8G
Phone: iPhone 4G
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Logitech S510 Connected to MacBook... How to change a few things? | Having trouble synching my Blackberry »