24'' iMac 2.8 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 500 GB HD. 15.4'' MBP, 2.6 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 200GB HD, iPhone 8GB.
    Official External Hard Drive Thread
    Well there is an official thread for mouse, I think there should be one for HD as well, since this is something that concerns most people. Therefore, I declare this thread to be the official hard drive thread.

In this thread, please state what kind of hard drive you use. Most importantly what format you use? What do you think is the best format for external hard disk?

North NJ
    i dont have no mac's
    i only use western digital drives.....i have 4 of them sitting on my desk, although not actually in cases but being used....

the format depends on what computer i use it for, i have two formatted in hfs+ and two in that windows format
    MoTM honor roll...
    i dont remember

24'' iMac 2.8 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 500 GB HD. 15.4'' MBP, 2.6 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 200GB HD, iPhone 8GB.
    Most quiet hard drive for mac?
    Does anyone know what is the most quiet hard drive for mac? I have a My Book, but does not seem to be that quiet, it makes a lot of noise when it is backing up with time machine. In fact, my iMac virtually makes no noise. I want my external hard disk to be like my iMac, makes no noise.

Why would you start a thread called "The Official External Hard Drive Thread" to discuss external HD's, and then go ahead and start a brand new thread asking for opinions and suggestions for external hard drives?

I'll go ahead and merge this thread into the one you already started.
    Posting and YOU|Forum Community Guidelines|The Apple Product Cycle|Forum Courtesy

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Thread Information