New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

PS3 HDMI Help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bennjiboi

bennjiboi is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.06Ghz 4G Ram| iPhone 3G 8Gb

Whats the better connection?

HDMI or Component?

I have on order a new Sony 46" XBR SERIES FULL HD BRAVIA LCD KDL46XBR..

I just want to know what you guys think..

And if there is any advice anyone can give me!

Stanton ATM 6 active monitors | Canon 450D | Razer Sphex
QUOTE Thanks
jotdess

jotdess has a spectacular aura about

HDMI. It carries the audio signal too. If you have multiple HDMI capable devices you need to switch them up or buy a splitter. Blu-ray movies look awesome. Watching 300 on blu-ray on a nice LCD is awesome.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

personally i am a component guy, but if you want a all in one solution hdmi will work. I go with component because that is what is used in the professional world and most of my monitors / devices are professional products i bought for my business.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
bennjiboi

Ok cool, I wasn't sure if HDMI was a better connection or quality then component..

But maybe I'll just stick to what I know..

Component lol

QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

HDMI is better:

HDMI/DVI > VGA/Component > S-video > Composite > RF

Mac Sites - down for reconstruction
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

tech specs and most reviews and of course salesmen would say hdmi.
I use hdmi for my devices that have it available. But I have tried component on them also, and it is beyond my eyes to see any difference between them unless I'm sitting there staring at the screen trying to find something. All 3 of mine are 720p. Don't know if there would be a bigger difference on 1080 or not.

When looking for the difference, it is easier to see with either a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD source and next to impossible to find with a cable or satellite HD source.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
tech specs and most reviews and of course salesmen would say hdmi.
I use hdmi for my devices that have it available. But I have tried component on them also, and it is beyond my eyes to see any difference between them unless I'm sitting there staring at the screen trying to find something. All 3 of mine are 720p. Don't know if there would be a bigger difference on 1080 or not.

When looking for the difference, it is easier to see with either a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD source and next to impossible to find with a cable or satellite HD source.
It definitely depends a lot on your display. On most flatscreens I've seen, component does look pretty close to HDMI. Component has looked better than VGA in some cases as well. I have a 720p projector and you can DEFINITELY see the difference between a digital (HDMI or DVI) connection and an analog component connection. It's close, but DVI has that extra sharpness to it plus doesn't seem to have the slight ghosting issues that component seems to have sometimes.

Mac Sites - down for reconstruction
QUOTE Thanks
bennjiboi

Cool so I'll use HDMI then for sure..

I just want to ask opinion's of you guy's.. I thought I had found the TV I wanted but looking around and chatting to other's I'm now undecided..

I was looking at the Sony 46" XBR SERIES FULL HD BRAVIA LCD KDL46XBR, it's RRP is about the $4,000 AUD

But I spoke to the sales guy today and he suggested the Samsung 46" M8 LA46M81BDX RRP about $4,199 AUD so the price is much of a much'ness..

Both 1080P, the Samsung has 3 HDMI inputs which is handy but since I'm only using my PS3 its again much of a much'ness to me..

The screen was not connected but I did see it and its rather pretty.

All reviews and stuff say the Samsung has amazing black's and as a bit of a gamer it appeals to me..

I also have looked at Pioneer..

HELP!

Some advice would be a life saver.. I know what the Sony looks like it has a beautiful picture my best friend has the 52" model and its lush..

I think I like the idea of having Sony tv and Ps3 just looks neat lol.

*sigh*

QUOTE Thanks
brian67

brian67 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1

im pretty sure that you will need HDMI to take advantage of 1080p in most cases anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
brian67

brian67 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1

If thats the new Samsung 46" with 120 Hz , my buddy has it and it is the best HD picture I have EVER seen. The people look as if you can reach in and touch them. I am comparing it to my Sony XBR CRT.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

One Samsung story -
Device failed after 10 months - still under factory warranty.
5 months later - still not repaired, nor replaced, though I was still on the list.
Options they gave me - continue waiting or accept a replacement unit that had half the features, storage space and cost 1/2 the money of the one I bought.
After another 2 months, took the replacement.
Needless to say, Samsung will never get another penny of my money.

At the same time was looking for a new TV and Samsung was at the top of my list. Bought a Sony. Haven't regretted it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

When the PS3 came out there was a worry that it wouldn't connect well with some HDTVs via HDMI. I know my cord is good but I cannot get it to display an image on my Samsung. It works fine and the image is crisp using component cables. I doubt you'll have any problems connect 2 Sony devices though.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

My advice is look at the TVs at the store but buy it online. Markup on HDTVs is at least 25% at big box stores. Best Buy used to sell my TV for $1599. I got it through pricegrabber.com for $850 with no tax and free shipping. Margin on the Bravia series is even worse. Buy online if you can.
The colors don't appear as vibrant on a Sony as compared to Samsung. I love mine and wouldn't trade it unless it was 4 a larger model.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
bennjiboi

So go with a samsung? And yeah the 46" M* is the new 120 hz I think..

But I'm yet to see it in store.

I'm just google'ing what I can now and seeing what I can find out and I think I'll go today and have a look at the LCD's side by side if i can.

Thanks!!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External HD for MBP (how to partition) | Bluetooth Mighty Mouse Help »