New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Difference between PowerPC and Intel Macs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Neptune

Neptune is on a distinguished road

Do you think that the PowerPC Macs are the "real" Macs because the Intel Macs currently use the x86 architecture which is PC standard. Does the PowerPC architecture make Macs "real" Macs and x86 architecture Macs are just "PCs running OS X"?
I think Intel Macs are still Macs and are different than PCs. Intel Macs use EFI instead of BIOS which separates it being from a "PC" and I am sure that there are more little differences in between.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Not off topic, but just a side note about EFI .... IIRC, Microsoft had first dibs on EFI but in the end asked themselves; "why should we changed over from BIOS to EFI when this change could have an adverse negative affect on our consumer market".

If they changed over then might their buyers go somewhere else? Ergo, why change something that works?

I do have the source of this somewhere if it's requested.

QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Two things make something a Mac, at least now, IMO. Mac OS X and Apple Design. It doesn't matter what is under the bonnet.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Very good response .... The design and OS look/feel is undeniably unique and they are the things that the average user are in touch with most frequently.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
Do you think that the PowerPC Macs are the "real" Macs because the Intel Macs currently use the x86 architecture which is PC standard. Does the PowerPC architecture make Macs "real" Macs and x86 architecture Macs are just "PCs running OS X"?
I think Intel Macs are still Macs and are different than PCs. Intel Macs use EFI instead of BIOS which separates it being from a "PC" and I am sure that there are more little differences in between.
IMHO, the last "real" Macs were the ones made with the 68K (680XX) Mototola Chips. But that's just me...

QUOTE Thanks
Neptune

Neptune is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
Two things make something a Mac, at least now, IMO. Mac OS X and Apple Design. It doesn't matter what is under the bonnet.
But the PowerPC architecture was more "special", right?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I'm not sure what you mean by "special"....

QUOTE Thanks
Thundermoon1994

Thundermoon1994 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB

Only if "special" means more limiting. The way I understand it, the Intel architecture makes it easier for software developers to adapt Windoze software to Macs. This increases the number of choices we have.

-- Unibody 15.4" MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz Core2Duo Penryn, 250 GB HD, 4 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 9400M & GeForce 9600M GT w/ 256 MB) --
-- 8 GB iPhone 3G -- 30 GB iPod Video --
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

A "real" Mac is a nothing more than a computer made by Apple that runs the Mac OS.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundermoon1994 View Post
Only if "special" means more limiting. The way I understand it, the Intel architecture makes it easier for software developers to adapt Windoze software to Macs. This increases the number of choices we have.
While one might like to believe that is true, anecdotal evidence would suggest it is not. The major differences between the Windows and Mac OS's are what keeps things from being ported over. That, market-share and ignorance. With bootcamp and Parallels, any push to port major amounts of software is just not there.

QUOTE Thanks
PinkLemonade

PinkLemonade has a spectacular aura about

I do believe that "real" macs use PPC. I keep a number around for very real needs. My white iBook G3 is one of my daily users, and I think that PPC makes it special, different from all the other x86 PC's out there.
QUOTE Thanks
Levi

Levi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD

I don't think it really matters; PPC isn't any more special than Intel... you really don't know the difference when using the software, and today's Intel Macs offer better performance.

It's like saying a car isn't "really" an Aston Martin because it uses a Rolls Royce engine... it's the other things that make it what it is.

Koalas: The mafia of the animal kingdom.

Now Powered By Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
Agreed 1000%. Very good and simple explanation.

Agreed with DB also. Take Mac OSX or even Mac OS in the older days away, it's just a box with IC Chips that does nothing. It's the OS that really has always made the Mac great.

Also all my Macs here but one are PPC based. I have everything from a Plus to iMac G5. I have only the Intel Mini. No Windows on my Intel Mac either!
QUOTE Thanks
Leukeh

Leukeh is a jewel in the roughLeukeh is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM

It's an Apple branded computer... it runs OS X... it's "real Mac" enough for me!

Behance Design/Photography Porfolio
QUOTE Thanks
jram

jram is a jewel in the roughjram is a jewel in the rough

I still have a 17in PB that I use everyday, it does everything a new Intel can do. I remember when you would go on any Mac forum and Mac users use to say they hated x86 architecture, little different now. I would never install XP or Vista on my Mac. You ask 10 Mac users now that have new Intels, they all would say they have XP or Vista running, a little phony to me. I can see installing XP if you needed it for school or work, but just to install it makes no sense.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I install drivers off Leopard Install CD | Comparing processor speeds »