New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Can I update jaguar to pather?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sonofliberty

Can I update Jaguar to Pather without having to buy Panther and reinstall osx?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Panther is a purchased upgrade. You can also install Panther over Jaguar.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Nightblade

Well, actually, there are two ways to get it for free that I'm almost certain are legal, but they can be a bit of hassle and I don't know if you're up to either.

1) http://developer.apple.com/ Alright, so, get an account here (it's free), and you'll be able to download kinky stuff, but it'll be quite a hassle to install them. Still, Panther is one of the things you can download, as well as the Software Developer's Kit and lots of other cool stuff. I learned about this from my brother's friend who's a Mac genius (I mean, he builds Macs, including some out of milk cartons, and he's only like 18).

2) Hehe, this one doesn't apply everywhere, and is not a recommended solution, but if you're really desperate...If something goes wrong with your Mac, when you send it into repairs they'll put Panther on it (MAYBE they will, but maybe the won't. I don't know if everyone does it or just the store where my dad sends his iBook for repairs). Of course, if you don't have a warranty, it'll cost ya.

But, since Tiger will come out early next year, perhaps you should wait? I don't know, it's up to you. And also, you may be able to download Panther off a file-sharing program like BitTorrent or Poisoned, but I wouldn't recommend it. I mean, it's an operating system, and that's a pretty delicate matter.

P.S. It's Panther, not Pather. Just wanna point that out.

P.P.S. I think this topic is in the wrong forum. This really has nothing to do with hardware, so I'd recommend having it in the "OS X--Operating System" forum.
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

hype.it is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!

Nightblade... You finished?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Video Card... | Delay file access from windows PC »