New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

iMac - how do i clean trackball on mighty mouse??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

peat

peat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.33 20" imac 2g ram.

this is my 3rd mighty mouse in a year. the trackball keeps messing up. it gets dirty and probably gunky on the inner gears. similar to pc mice with the old big mouse ball on the bottom. where i used to go in and clean off the wheels. is there anyway to open this thing up.

i love my mouse, but this ones only about a month old and its already acting up. or maybe i should start washing my hands before using my computer =)
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

I went six months before cleaning it the first time. I just spray a paper towel with bleach and go at it. It will look like brand new when you're done.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
Doctor Suarez

Doctor Suarez is on a distinguished road

I do two things:

I gently depress the ball and use a fine-point pick (like a mechanical pencil) to scrape out any gunk that might be accumulating around the edges.

I dip a Q-tip (sorry, cotton swab) into rubbing alcohol and roll the soaked tip against the trackball, making sure to coat the entire thing.

It won't work immediately, but if you let it dry, then press down and roll it around with some force, it should start working again.
QUOTE Thanks
peat

peat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.33 20" imac 2g ram.

cool, thanks. yea it doesnt look dirty lol. the cotton swab and alcohol worked for now.
QUOTE Thanks
orion30

orion30 is on a distinguished road

I had the same issue. Before I took it into the Apple store, I looked on the apple support site.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302417
I tried their method and it worked like a charm.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Exteranal Hard Drive not recognized through firewire | Good Webcam with Sound for OS X »