New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Superdrive Issue, it is a big one :(

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

quickfingers100

Hey,
Here is my problem. I am on my second eMac, 1ghz, 256mb, 80gig hd, x4 superdrive. All was fine up until the other day.

The Problem:

I watched a DVD, all was fine. Quit the DVD app and messed around on my computer for 30 mins. Then decided to watch another film, placed in in the superdrive, DVD player loaded as normal but started to play the previous DVD I watched earlier that night as if from memory. Quit the app, tried again and the superdrive wouldn't read the DVD and the DVD app wouldn't open. It then spat out the DVD.

More problems: Here are the set of problems I have.

When I boot up the computer, the first DVD I play is fine. I can watch it from start to finish. All DVD-Rs, CD-Rs, Audio CDs, Retail DVDs can all be viewed/played/mounted and I can burn either format. Once I have used the DVD app once the Superdrive does not recognise anything except CDs, they are really slow though. I also cannot burn as it mentions buffer underrun problems. Also, I get a message saying I have inserted a disc with no volumes that macOSX can read.

Also, various apps like Safari and Mac Help no longer work.

Solutions I have tried:

1. Repair permissions
2. Ran Disc Warrior and Disc Utility.....everything was fine
3. Ran Apple Hardware test.....all came back good
4. Did a system resotre
5. Completely erased my Hard Disc and re-installed the system.

So, nothing actually worked and all diagnostics came back fine.

Reasons I don't think it is a hardware issue.......

Firstly, the superdrive works perfectly until the DVD player app is used. It can read and write, do everything, but only play on DVD. After that it becomes unresponsive. Secondly, I can boot up from a CD upon startup. This is fine and runs as normal. Thirdly, other apps are a bit screwed up too.

My main problem is that the CD I was watching first may have altered the firmware. I am 99% sure but could someone clarify this? The first DVD was a DVD-R Datawrite x4 speed, and the second was a retail Steve Vai concert DVD. At one point toast could not recognise the Superdrive, until I rebooted. The first DVD was a region 0 NTSC disc, but it played fine. I am in England therefore PAL is the norm. There is no region encoding on either disc so all of this should not be an issue.

My mac is back to it's normal state, nothing installed on it, just the system. If anyone has any idea because this is really strange and I figured if the drive was broken it wouldn't have these symptoms. Either not read at all, be a bit dodgy when reading and possibly have burning issues. The eMac has remained stationary for months. I am just really at the end of my thether as I feel I have tried everything!!!

Thanks people,
quickfingers100 :mad:
QUOTE Thanks
the_New_guy

the_New_guy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;

get a zone freer.

http://xvi.rpc1.org/region.html

Mac OSX is the bomb :bomb:
The Gadget Cast Gadgets.in
QUOTE Thanks
quickfingers100

Thanks dude for the link but my dvd drive is not region free therefore it wouldn't be a good idea. I don't know if the fimware has been changed or not. Cheers though
QUOTE Thanks
the_New_guy

Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;

to me it sounds like a drive problem, take it to apple service center.

QUOTE Thanks
the_New_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfingers100
Thanks dude for the link but my dvd drive is not region free therefore it wouldn't be a good idea. I don't know if the fimware has been changed or not. Cheers though
i have a zone free drive as i had a cdrom in my eMac and i had changed it myself to dvdrw

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Emac power button broken | slow access on certain folders »