New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

MacBook - I have a MacBook, want a DVD drive, what are my options?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

milk is white

milk is white is on a distinguished road

Hello, hola, bonjour, ciao-
i have a macbook, and would really like to use iDVD to burn movies i've made in iMovie.

I've used an external dvd drive with patchburn, and it doesn't come out too well-the dvd's skip, freeze, etc.

What are my options, if I want to install a superdrive in my computer? Can I take it to Apple and have them do it? If they did, would I be able to get support for it when I needed? What do you think is the best option? Will Britney Spears get her children back?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
nick/chuck

nick/chuck is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.0ghz 3gb Ram C2D Black Macbook

Go into the preferences for the external drive you have and set it at a slower burn speed that should help.

-Britney is def not getting her kids back, ever.
QUOTE Thanks
visch1

visch1 is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=nick/chuck;508813]Go into the preferences for the external drive you have and set it at a slower burn speed that should help.

I also thought that until I was having some problems with my burns and find out that's an old wives tale. It's best, if everything to do with burning is up to par, to burn at close to max speed. Just remember there are a lot of issues involved, like quality of disks. Just because they are expensive doesn't mean they are good.
some good info: http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34
QUOTE Thanks
Brandon

Brandon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D, 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, ipod nano 8GB, 500GB MyBook

[QUOTE=visch1;508896]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick/chuck View Post
Go into the preferences for the external drive you have and set it at a slower burn speed that should help.

I also thought that until I was having some problems with my burns and find out that's an old wives tale. It's best, if everything to do with burning is up to par, to burn at close to max speed. Just remember there are a lot of issues involved, like quality of disks. Just because they are expensive doesn't mean they are good.
some good info: http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34
What? Can you post a link to where you found out that's an "old wives tale" please?

Pioneer CDJ-200 Digital CD Turntables, Pioneer DJM-500 Mixer, Technics RP-DH1200 Headphones
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
QUOTE Thanks
nZa

nZa has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.8Ghz MBP

The easiest way would be to sell your Macbook and get a used one with a DVD burner inside.

Otherwise, you're going to get the best performance from a Firewire drive, as there really isn't a data bottleneck like when using USB. Firewire 800 transfers data nearly as fast as your hard-drive can send the data to it, however Firewire 400 is still a vast improvement over USB.

Additionally, Firewire doesn't not sap any power from your processor as USB drives require the computer to "think" about what it's doing. Firewire is just picked up as another internal drive (for lack of a better explanation) so your processor doesn't have to think about how to translate the data into "USB code".
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« S.M.A.R.T. on external hard drive | Macbook to TV + Amplifier? »