New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Which External Hard Drive should I buy/Do you suggest?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

Firewire is faster than USB 2.0. Everything that travels along that wire does it faster. Moving and viewing both move the same amount of data, so both are faster.
QUOTE Thanks
fender1100

fender1100 is on a distinguished road

hmm yeah i guess that was a stupid question...

in your experience, have you been able to watch a movie file directly from the hard drive using USB2? watching a movie file would probably be the most consuming task I would do.

thanks a lot for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

Well, I have my entire movie collection in an external HDD(USB supported) and never had a problem viewing.
QUOTE Thanks
bawalker

bawalker is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17"2GHZ INTEL DUE IMAC

My external hard drive recently stopped working, it makes a clicking sound. I took it to a technician who had a look at it, but he was unable to get anything off it.

Is it possible to open the unit and tranfer the disk into another unit ( which is known to work) and try to access the information from that when hooked up to the computer?
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Yes it is. The drive is easily enough opened up. Just be sure you don't yank anything too hard and break with internal wires. As far as reading data off the drive, you may or may not need recovery software depending on what's wrong with it. The drive however, doesn't really care what enclosure it's in, or whether it's in an enclosure at all. Newertech makes a handy $30 universal USB adapter that will plug into any drive and then hook it to your Mac via USB. It's great for just this type of situation.
-Dave

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
bawalker

bawalker is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17"2GHZ INTEL DUE IMAC

Thanks for the information, the hard drive has opened up easily enough and it doesn't look scratched or damaged in any way. It would be good to try the usb connector, do you have a link that I could go to to find out more about the device that you mentioned.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.newertech.com/products/usb2_adapt.php

Hope it helps!
-Dave

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
boiler

boiler is on a distinguished road

We recently purchase an IMAC for use by the family. It has a hard drive with approximately 240GB.

Now that we have everything on this unit, we want to make sure we have a backup in case something happens to it.

Can someone recommend a brand and size of external hard drive that we could use to backup the machine? I see different types of drives advertised, but I was not sure if they would be compatible with a MAC and the clerks at the stores have not been much help.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

You can pretty much buy and USB2 or Firewire capable drive and it will work. The software that comes with these drives is not Mac compatible, but you don't need it anyhow.

You can save yourself some money and buy an inexpensive case and then a hard drive and put the two together. This is the best way to get more Drive for your $$$.

By the way, it's iMac and Mac, not IMAC and MAC.....

QUOTE Thanks
Jeff

Jeff is a jewel in the roughJeff is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube

I have a Seagate FreeAgent, and I love it. For whatever size you want, it may cost a little more than the competition, but the thing's got a 5 year warranty on it. I was debating between a WD MyBook or some other different makes/models, and then I saw the FreeAgent. The warranty on it was the dealmaker. They have no fans, and are really quiet. I give it 5 stars.

Black MacBook
Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic
B&W G3
G4's - PowerMac & Cube
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I have a 250 and 500 GB MyBook drives and so far they're great. The most recent one was the 500GB one I bought from Newegg.com. When I priced their cheapest USB enclosure and cheapest 500GB hard drive on their site (which was also a WD drive) it was the same price at the MyBook.

As long as you go with one of the top name brands you should be fine no matter how you go about getting your drive.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

I was always told to have twice the backup space as I had on my box. Thus, you might consider a 500GB backup drive for your 240GB system.
-Dave

Last edited by XJ-linux; 08-24-2007 at 10:49 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
hagios1972

hagios1972 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD

I m not techie so I hope you don't find this question silly - What do I need to do to set up an external HD for backing up my files? I am looking into an external HD that I can connect to firewire. Many thanks.

Last edited by D3v1L80Y; 08-26-2007 at 02:52 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I have the same set-up: a LaCie 500GBs FireWire and use SuperDuper! (just google up the name as is - it does indeed have an ! at the end) and it does all the work for you. It makes the external bootable so if anything happens with the internal hard drive the other one can boot your Mac.

Buying the licence will let you be able to schedule your backups, and give you more options for different types of backups.

SuperDuper! is the best backup application, according to this article/comparison tests.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagios1972 View Post
This will be a useful information if it is possible.

BTW, I m not techie so I hope you don't find this question silly - What do I need to do to set up an external HD for backing up my files? I am looking into an external HD that I can connect to firewire. Many thanks.
I also am doing exactly that. When you get your external drive - just connect it, open up Disc Utility - then partition and format the new drive.

I use one partition for a bootable backup with Superduper and the other for keeping all myiTunes and video stored.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Drive Question--Brand--WD vs. Fantom | mac does'nt see my HDD »