New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Which External Hard Drive should I buy/Do you suggest?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Granny Prime

Granny Prime is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2GHz, White 80GB iPod 5th Generation

I like Western Digital. Had mine for a while now and it's constantly on and not given me ANY problems what so ever =]
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by timswim78 View Post
You can make your own for the cost of the harddrive plus $40 to cover the cost of an external case. You can get a lot more versatility and can save about 50% by doing it yourself. Here are some instructions that show how easy it is.
http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/201/42/
Honestly, I don't see where this is coming from! I was looking to buy an External HD. I went to Newegg.com where you usually find the cheapest prices. A Western Digital internal 250GB is $60, an enclosure is $14, (the cheapest available 250GB drive and enclosure on their site), but a Western Digital external 250GB drive is only $74!! Where's the savings???

Maybe if you go with Firewire or there's some savings. IDK, I haven't researched and it seems price for externals goes way up when Firewire is involved. If someone can show me how I could save 50% please do.

I ended up getting a 500GB WD MyBook for $129 ($10 off) b/c I like the design, but could have gotten a WD with a different design for $119!

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Mace

Mace will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 1.83 MBP

I'd rather have firewire with my external simply b/c you can boot from it. However, I've heard that's not neccessary with intel macs. Still, internal hdd by seagate w/ a 5yr warranty and an enclosure is a lot better than a pre-built one with a one year warranty in my eyes.
QUOTE Thanks
CAMERA MAN

CAMERA MAN is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Mac Book Pro 2.4ghz 6gb Ram 320gb HD - G5 2x2.0ghz- 23" Apple Display - 2 Sony FX1s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohemian View Post
Who makes the best. I've heard really bad things about LaCie.
I have a Lacie rugged drive fo my laptop and i love it. Never had proplems with it at all because it a real HD running firewire 800. Just make sure it has firewire connections.

Final Cut Studio 3
QUOTE Thanks
CAMERA MAN

CAMERA MAN is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Mac Book Pro 2.4ghz 6gb Ram 320gb HD - G5 2x2.0ghz- 23" Apple Display - 2 Sony FX1s

I have a 80gb one, i really should have got the bigger one. But i had it for about 4 months and i love it, never lost any files on it. I put this concert that i was editing since i bought it till now and its still their. I wish the guy would hurry up so i could burn it and del it but its still there with no problems. One time during rendering video onto the drive it got disconnected and fell. I thought the file would be corrupted but the drive shut off before it could be damages. So by far i think the Lace drive is a very good choice.

Final Cut Studio 3
QUOTE Thanks
kilo15

kilo15 will become famous soon enough

Raid Ftw
QUOTE Thanks
sleepy_monkey

sleepy_monkey is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook/13.3"/2.16GHz Intel C2D/1GB RAM/120GB HD/Ipod 20 Gig

My g/f and I both have Lacie's and have had some problems....her file folders will randomly have changed names and I have files in my garbage that WILL NOT delete....

You can find good deals on externals at www.dealnews.com 500 gigs for about $110 on a good day.
QUOTE Thanks
Gargantua

Gargantua is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.16ghz

Just bought a new MacBook (2.16ghz/1GB Ram) about 2 months ago and want to get a backup HD as soon as possible (I'm not one to tempt fate...) I've read mixed things about LaCie; terrible things about Seagate and Western Digital. I'm looking in the 250-350gb range/$300 max. This is my first post here after posting on Consumer Reports forums. Thanks in advance for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I've always used LaCie drives and have loved them. They work perfectly.

There was one series, the Porsche series, that was horrid, but other than that LaCie is very solid.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I don't know what bad things you've heard about Seagate and WD, but they are pretty much the biggest names in hard drives: something you don't accomplish by making junk. I have 2 MyBooks (made by WD) and my old desktop had one of each and is still going strong after 4 years.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
bcooper0125

bcooper0125 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini | 2.0GHz C2D, 1GB RAM, 120GB HD ||| Black MacBook | 2.16GHz C2D | 2GB RAM

i use the mybook series too. i have 3 now... a 350GB, 500GB, and a brand new 1TB. They're pretty solid. My 500GB one is a "World Edition" so it's hooked up to my ethernet for everyone in the house...

Unfortunately, the stupid remote access program doesnt work on a mac

But other than that, I've always sworn by WD. Anytime I used see a Maxtor drive in my computer, I used to rip it out. But since Seagate acquired Maxtor, they seem to have gotten better.

Brandon
iPod Video - 60GB, White
Mac mini - 2.0GHz Intel C2D, 120G HD, 1G RAM
MacBook - 2.16GHz Intel C2D, 160G HD, 2G RAM
QUOTE Thanks
Gargantua

Gargantua is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.16ghz

thanks for your input everyone. After some additional research I decided to go with the G-Drive Quad (320 gb), which has gotten really high reviews from sources I trust. LaCie was a second choice.
QUOTE Thanks
fender1100

fender1100 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I've searched the forums for recommendations for external hard drives and I think I'm gonna go for a Western Digital Elements either 400gb or 500gb.

What I would like to know though is if I really need to have a HD with firewire connection. The WD hard drives that I have seen are usb connections and they are in my budget... (less that 100) I will be using the HD mainly for storage but now and again I would like to view/open some of the documents/movies/music/other various files that I have on it.
If I have a USB connected HD would I be able to open the files directly or would I need to copy what I needed to the Mac and then open it from there?

Thanks a lot!

Jamie
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

Firewire will make it alot faster, but I guess USB 2.0 can't be that bad.

As always, I recommend to you the Disk Maxi. It is £95 and it is sooo tiny for 500GB!
QUOTE Thanks
fender1100

fender1100 is on a distinguished road

but when you say "faster", is that just to litterally transfer the files to the HD, or also viewing them...?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Drive Question--Brand--WD vs. Fantom | mac does'nt see my HDD »