Page 7 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.2GHz, White 80GB iPod 5th Generation
    I like Western Digital. Had mine for a while now and it's constantly on and not given me ANY problems what so ever =]

Specs:
    27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
    Quote Originally Posted by timswim78 View Post
    You can make your own for the cost of the harddrive plus $40 to cover the cost of an external case. You can get a lot more versatility and can save about 50% by doing it yourself. Here are some instructions that show how easy it is.
    http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/201/42/
    Honestly, I don't see where this is coming from! I was looking to buy an External HD. I went to Newegg.com where you usually find the cheapest prices. A Western Digital internal 250GB is $60, an enclosure is $14, (the cheapest available 250GB drive and enclosure on their site), but a Western Digital external 250GB drive is only $74!! Where's the savings???

Maybe if you go with Firewire or there's some savings. IDK, I haven't researched and it seems price for externals goes way up when Firewire is involved. If someone can show me how I could save 50% please do.

I ended up getting a 500GB WD MyBook for $129 ($10 off) b/c I like the design, but could have gotten a WD with a different design for $119!
    "Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"

Specs:
    1.83 MBP
    I'd rather have firewire with my external simply b/c you can boot from it. However, I've heard that's not neccessary with intel macs. Still, internal hdd by seagate w/ a 5yr warranty and an enclosure is a lot better than a pre-built one with a one year warranty in my eyes.

Specs:
    Late 2011 17" MacBook Pro 2.4ghz quad i7 16gb ram
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohemian View Post
    Who makes the best. I've heard really bad things about LaCie.
    I have a Lacie rugged drive fo my laptop and i love it. Never had proplems with it at all because it a real HD running firewire 800. Just make sure it has firewire connections.
    Late 2011 MacBook Pro 27" | Thunderbolt Display | Final Cut Pro X

Specs:
    Late 2011 17" MacBook Pro 2.4ghz quad i7 16gb ram
    I have a 80gb one, i really should have got the bigger one. But i had it for about 4 months and i love it, never lost any files on it. I put this concert that i was editing since i bought it till now and its still their. I wish the guy would hurry up so i could burn it and del it but its still there with no problems. One time during rendering video onto the drive it got disconnected and fell. I thought the file would be corrupted but the drive shut off before it could be damages. So by far i think the Lace drive is a very good choice.
    Late 2011 MacBook Pro 27" | Thunderbolt Display | Final Cut Pro X

Raid Ftw

Specs:
    Macbook/13.3"/2.16GHz Intel C2D/1GB RAM/120GB HD/Ipod 20 Gig
    My g/f and I both have Lacie's and have had some problems....her file folders will randomly have changed names and I have files in my garbage that WILL NOT delete....

You can find good deals on externals at www.dealnews.com 500 gigs for about $110 on a good day.

Specs:
    White Macbook 2.16ghz
    External backup HD for new MacBook :: Recommendations?
    Just bought a new MacBook (2.16ghz/1GB Ram) about 2 months ago and want to get a backup HD as soon as possible (I'm not one to tempt fate...) I've read mixed things about LaCie; terrible things about Seagate and Western Digital. I'm looking in the 250-350gb range/$300 max. This is my first post here after posting on Consumer Reports forums. Thanks in advance for the help.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    I've always used LaCie drives and have loved them. They work perfectly.

There was one series, the Porsche series, that was horrid, but other than that LaCie is very solid.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

Specs:
    27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
    I don't know what bad things you've heard about Seagate and WD, but they are pretty much the biggest names in hard drives: something you don't accomplish by making junk. I have 2 MyBooks (made by WD) and my old desktop had one of each and is still going strong after 4 years.
    "Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"

Specs:
    Mac Mini | 2.0GHz C2D, 1GB RAM, 120GB HD ||| Black MacBook | 2.16GHz C2D | 2GB RAM
    i use the mybook series too. i have 3 now... a 350GB, 500GB, and a brand new 1TB. They're pretty solid. My 500GB one is a "World Edition" so it's hooked up to my ethernet for everyone in the house...

Unfortunately, the stupid remote access program doesnt work on a mac

But other than that, I've always sworn by WD. Anytime I used see a Maxtor drive in my computer, I used to rip it out. But since Seagate acquired Maxtor, they seem to have gotten better.
    Brandon
    iPod Video - 60GB, White
    Mac mini - 2.0GHz Intel C2D, 120G HD, 1G RAM
    MacBook - 2.16GHz Intel C2D, 160G HD, 2G RAM

Specs:
    White Macbook 2.16ghz
    thanks for your input everyone. After some additional research I decided to go with the G-Drive Quad (320 gb), which has gotten really high reviews from sources I trust. LaCie was a second choice.

External Hard-Drive question
    Hi,

I've searched the forums for recommendations for external hard drives and I think I'm gonna go for a Western Digital Elements either 400gb or 500gb.

What I would like to know though is if I really need to have a HD with firewire connection. The WD hard drives that I have seen are usb connections and they are in my budget... (less that 100) I will be using the HD mainly for storage but now and again I would like to view/open some of the documents/movies/music/other various files that I have on it.
    If I have a USB connected HD would I be able to open the files directly or would I need to copy what I needed to the Mac and then open it from there?

Thanks a lot!

Jamie

Specs:
    20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
    Firewire will make it alot faster, but I guess USB 2.0 can't be that bad.

As always, I recommend to you the Disk Maxi. It is £95 and it is sooo tiny for 500GB!

but when you say "faster", is that just to litterally transfer the files to the HD, or also viewing them...?

Thread Information