New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Which External Hard Drive should I buy/Do you suggest?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

I assume you can tell the app where to retrieve and save the file to so it should be no problem. I've never used the app your talking about though. Plug in the external and it mounts to the desktop like a DVD does.
Bryan

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryphotoguy View Post

Ill second this drive, i've got it and I really like it.
QUOTE Thanks
igere

igere is on a distinguished road

I just ordered a 17" MBP today, and being new to the mac world, I'm curious if there are any particular external hd's that work better with the mac platform? I've used maxtor and western digital in the past with no problems on my windows laptops. I will be using the drive mainly to back up digital images (jpg & raw) so I plan on something in the 500 gig range.

As a side note, I was told that in order to write files to my current windows formatted external hd's, they will need to be re-formatted for mac? I don't plan on doing this since I will still need to use them with my other pc's. Will I be able to at least upload files (jpg's, itunes backup file, etc.) from my current drives to my new mac?

Thanks in advance.

Chris
QUOTE Thanks
zurron

zurron is on a distinguished road

Personally I would never buy an all-in-one external hard drive. Your best bet is to buy a hard drive enclosure and a hard drive separately. This way your hard drive is always expandable since hard drives are getting bigger and bigger these days (I think they just released a 2TB hdd..)

My external hard drive is in FAT32 format and this works with both the PC and MAC perfectly. What you want to look for is what connection you will get. My external case only has USB or eSATA (which the mac doesn't have a port for). If you want to spend a bit of money, definitely look for a Firewire 800/USB hard drive enclosure which is supported by the mac, and you can use USB on the PC if you don't have a firewire card on it.

As for the hard drive, they are all the same on PC or MAC. I like WD's, some people complain about maxtors, but they are all pretty so-so.
QUOTE Thanks
MacBurg

MacBurg has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G

I just ordered one a Western Digital Mybook Pro 500GB, I compared a few other drives from other maufacturers, but the Mybook Pro came out on top. It has FW 800, FW 400 & USB 2, and comes with all three cables, I'll be using FW 800 on my Macbook Pro so looking forward to the speed upgrade from USB, the price of the Mybook drives are pretty decent too.

Mybook Pro 500GB

Review of Mybook Pro 500GB

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Here is a thread with my own research into which drive to get.
You really can start with the 2nd post. Have listed most of the externals available. If I don't have 'em listed there, they fall into a category of manufacturers that are packaging someone else's drive into their enclosure and then for the most part do not even supply the info of whose or what drive is in the package.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
altyson

altyson is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G5 DP 1.8 160 Super Drive 17 " Display

Today I went to copy a file to my external La Cie 250 and it said it was full. I cleaned out all files. I rebooted and when I get info it said that I had 107.3 gb free. I ran Disk Warrior to rebuild and it said the same after I rebooted again. I opened the drive and there are no files but only 107 gb free.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

is it partitioned?

did you empty the trash when the drive was connected?

if you want it completely clean, maybe you should just reformat it.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
altyson

altyson is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G5 DP 1.8 160 Super Drive 17 " Display

I had to reformat. I needed to have the space immediately. I now have 233gb.
QUOTE Thanks
TenderSurrender

TenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)

A thing i often forget (and many other users) is to empty the trash with the drive connected.

Whilst the drive is connected if you delete folders and files it just marks them ready to be deleted by the trash. If you dont empty the trash it'll just take up the space anyway.

~~ TS ~~

JEMDNA Photography - Clicky to see latest work
“Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it.”
QUOTE Thanks
quackbook

quackbook is an unknown at this point

I am looking for an external HD that is super reliable (i've had bad luck with HDs in the past all in all). Circa 100 GB. Preferable fast. USB or Firewire.

Thanks for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
MacBurg

MacBurg has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G

I just bought a MyBook Pro edition 500GB external, very happy with the first week of use. It took a while to transfer a folder structure of photography worth about 150GB from an old USB2 160GB iomega drive to the new MyBook running FW 800. But now that everything is transferred and setup the new drive is great, it powers down automatically when not in use or when you put the mac to sleep, and runs very quiet, I'm also very happy with the speed upgrade I'm experiencing using FW 800, recommended.
QUOTE Thanks
digitalfish

digitalfish is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro/2.66 Ghz/4GB RAM/320GB HD/NVIDIA GeForce 9400 and NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT

Looking to buy the 100GB 7200rpm Lacie Rugged All Terrain External Hard Drive. Anyone have any good or bad reviews of this drive..?? I have seen some bad reviews and some good - but I think thats the case with most products...

Last edited by digitalfish; 08-02-2007 at 08:47 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
popart

popart is on a distinguished road

Hi - I do graphics and I have 5 hard drives, ebook, maxtor, lacie, the list goes on. I just purchased a G-force drive -- apple store -- based on the reviews of it....They were right on. The drive is true plug and play with no problems. I would absolutely recommend it. The lacie firewire drive hangs up my computer (constantly) and the ebook does not mount reliably. The other ones have misc. annoyances. The G-Force is so far the best!
QUOTE Thanks
Mace

Mace will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 1.83 MBP

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...07130&name=IDE

There are some enclosures for you from newegg.com
Now just find a 3.5 hdd that you like and plop it in there. I'm currently hunting on there myself.
Macnn.com's forum section has a A TON of people who do this on the regular, there's tons of info floating around there.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Drive Question--Brand--WD vs. Fantom | mac does'nt see my HDD »