New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Which External Hard Drive should I buy/Do you suggest?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jte1130

jte1130 is on a distinguished road

I have a 160 Gb Western Digital that I previosuly used with my pc. When I switched to a Mac a few years ago I reformatted it and have been using it for my Time Machine back-ups. I think I've outgrown it and from everything I read I should have gotten a bigger drive a long time ago. My Mac has a 300 Gb hard drive so I'd like to pick up a 1 Tb external drive which should last me awhile.

I have been looking at some Western Digitals on Amazon and notice they have "For Mac" branded hard drives but they are a few $$ more. Is there really any difference? Or can I save a few bucks and get the non-Mac branded one?

Non-branded:

Amazon.com: Western Digital My Passport Essential SE 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive (Black): Computers & Accessories

Mac branded:

Amazon.com: Western Digital My Passport for Mac 1 TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - WDBBXV0010BBK-NESN: Electronics
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jte1130 View Post
I have a 160 Gb Western Digital that I previosuly used with my pc. When I switched to a Mac a few years ago I reformatted it and have been using it for my Time Machine back-ups. I think I've outgrown it and from everything I read I should have gotten a bigger drive a long time ago. My Mac has a 300 Gb hard drive so I'd like to pick up a 1 Tb external drive which should last me awhile.

I have been looking at some Western Digitals on Amazon and notice they have "For Mac" branded hard drives but they are a few $$ more. Is there really any difference? Or can I save a few bucks and get the non-Mac branded one?

Non-branded:

Amazon.com: Western Digital My Passport Essential SE 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive (Black): Computers & Accessories

Mac branded:

Amazon.com: Western Digital My Passport for Mac 1 TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - WDBBXV0010BBK-NESN: Electronics
The only significant difference is that one is formatted for the Mac out of the box, while the other is formatted for Windows. All you have to do is format the non-Mac-branded one in Disk Utility.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
jte1130

jte1130 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
The only significant difference is that one is formatted for the Mac out of the box, while the other is formatted for Windows. All you have to do is format the non-Mac-branded one in Disk Utility.

Cool, thanks. So there should be no problem with the non-branded being USB 3.0 correct?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jte1130 View Post
Cool, thanks. So there should be no problem with the non-branded being USB 3.0 correct?
No. USB 3.0 is backward compatible with 2.0. It should be fine.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
fatalfirebird

fatalfirebird is on a distinguished road

I really like the seagate goflex desk harddrives. i like them because they have different bases that you can use depending on the capabilities of your computer. I picked up a 3TB drive for mac that had usb 2.0 and firewire 800 on it. however, if i ever got a computer that supported usb 3.0 i wouldn't have to go out and buy another hard drive to support that speed, i can just use the same 3tb hard drive but with a different dock! definitely a smart design idea!
QUOTE Thanks
lonewolf

lonewolf is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13.3 2.4Ghz C2D 8GB Corsair X128 128GB SSD, iBook G4 1.2Ghz 1.25GB RAM

Thought I would throw in some items since I've been using SSDs in my Macbook Pro 2010 13", and my 2011 iMac 27".

The Macbook Pro: using an X128, older SSD with Indilinx controller, in my MacBook Pro for over a year and no problems whatsoever. Extremely fast compared to the original 250GB internal.

On the iMac 27", same deal - I was able to get these at closeout prices early in 2011. The iMac 27" is using it via target disk mode, Thunderbolt 800, and a Macally PHR-S250UAB FW800 / USB 2.0 enclosure.

The iMac / Firewire combo isn't as fast as the SATA connected internal MacBook - but it's still way faster on bootup and launch of apps than the internal 1TB disk. I use the SSD for the OS and most of my applications - 120GB is plenty for that.

What makes an SSD truly fast for bootup and typical applications is its access time, not so much it's max transfer rates. This holds true on the external FW800 SSD I use. A platter HDD can drop down to 1-2MB/s on random accesses of small to medium size; these drives stay at 70-80MB/s on firewire 800 no matter what you're doing.

GoFlex : I have a 2TB FW800 / USB 2.0 GoFlex Desk daisy chained with my boot SSD on the iMac. I love the interchangeability of the GoFlex line.

Thunderbolt : Not using it yet but I will be soon.

Found some interesting data on the new GoFlex interfaces when coupled with an SSD, VS USB 3.0, and Sata-3. Link below.

Summary : 3x faster than USB 3.0 on data transfers. 1/3rd the latency of USB 3.0 . More than 3x the IOPs of USB 3.0

Thunderbolt Storage With Any 2.5" Hard Drive or SSD | StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews

-------------------------------------
MacBook Pro 13.3 2.4Ghz C2D 8GB RAM
Corsair X128 128GB SSD
iMac 2011 27" i5 2.7Ghz 12GB Ram 1TB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
orlajoan

orlajoan is on a distinguished road

Hello

I'd really appreciate some advice on storage. I'm looking to consolidate several years worth of (important) photos and movies - currently on many spools of DVDs in drawers, shudder - onto one system. I want at least RAID1 to be safe, so I know it's not going to be Superfast, but I'm not likely to use it much directly for editing. And I'm working with a 4 year old MacBook Pro, so I'm not bothered about Thunderbolt. Yet.
I'm thinking 4tb (2tb) or possibly 6TB (3tb) so I can just have everything in one place.

I'm considering G SAFE,
- is it worth the extra money.. is it much safer? Is the digital display really helpful? Or if I'm paying extra for speed I probably don't need it...

WD MyBook Studio Pro

-I like the 30% less energy consumption but I'm nervous about overheating. Any opinions/experience here?

and Lacie 2big Quadra - Again, any opinions/experience I'd love to know...

Or is there another option I should be considering?
(Is there something that'll automatically take it all off the DVDs for me and transfer it immediately and wirelessly? )

Thanks very much
QUOTE Thanks
Ttaylor394

Ttaylor394 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '10 21.5iMac self update-1TB 16GB-'12 MBP13 self update 1TB 16gb-32GB&16gb iphones-32GB iPad,

going to get a new back up, the seagate i have isn't making it work anymore

Amazon.com: Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 3 TB FireWire 800 USB 2.0 External Hard Drive for Mac STBC3000101: Electronics

that is the 3TB one, 10$ more than the 2TB model on Amazon that is..
then i think if i purchase this thing...

Amazon.com: Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt Adapter (STAE121): Car Electronics

.. and a thunderbolt cable then the drive turns into a thunderbolt drive for any future compatible Macs I buy.. anyone out there have this item?

21.5"iMac i3 3.06:running 10.7  500GB HD  16GB DDR3  Magic Trackpad  Black iPhone4 32GB  White iPhone4 16GB  Apple Extreme Airport Base Station 
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

I recently got a G-Drive from G-Technology. Nicely built, 3 year warranty, looks to be pretty easy to open the enclosure if I need to. Only disadvantage is the slightly high price.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
vdubbeet

vdubbeet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Early-2009MBP 15"(new to me)iPad 3 32GB iPad 2 32GBiPhone 4s 32GB

1)I need 9.5mm, 2.5" (would like at least 1tb or greater without having to do many mods or jumpers - is that even possible?)
2) I have it narrowed down to Western Digital WD10JPVT Scorpio Blue 1 TB 2.5" Internal Notebook Hard Drive Amazon.com: Western Digital WD10JPVT Scorpio Blue 1 TB 2.5" Internal Notebook Hard Drive: Electronics any other suggestions? I couldn't find one similar from Seagate. I'd prefer 7200RPM, if that's even possible.
Quickly running out of space on current hd.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
QUOTE Thanks
Ran2

Ran2 is on a distinguished road

Hello everybody this is my first day.
I own an early 2009 24" iMac model no A1225. Proc. 3.06GHz. 1067 MHz DDR3 memory module with 8GHz of memory (Crucials). and a 620 internal HD?
First, being an old guy, I must say that I am not very technically minded. My question to the community is that I want to buy an external HD with as much storage space as possible (!TB or 2TB) that my computer can run and deal with. I have a great many photographs of my family members plus I would want to do back ups of my system. What would you suggest is best to buy for my early 2009 iMac?
QUOTE Thanks
Postoak

Postoak is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5", 3.33Ghz Intel, 8Gb Ram, 1Tb HD, / White MacBook, 2.4Ghz Intel, 2Gb Ram, 160Gb HD

I run a Seagate Free Agent 500 GB on my 2010 1 Tb 21.5" iMac. Have never had any problem what so ever with it. Sure came in handy last July when my Hard Drive crashed and had to be replaced. Worth a look to see if they still sell them.

Ran2

Ran2 is on a distinguished road

Hi Postoak,
Thanks for your reply pal. Much appreciated
Ran2
QUOTE Thanks
vyvafc

vyvafc is on a distinguished road

Hi

Looking for some advice. 'Switched' about a year ago, now have in household: iMac 2011, 2-3 iPhones, iPad2, 2 PC laptops. One day would like MBAir! I am moderately 'computer literate', but no longer wish to spend hours/days puzzling things out or finding complex work-arounds or solutions. I switched to Mac for the promised simplicity. I don't have any experience with network-type hardware.

My iMac is stuffed to the eyeballs, so I need some external storage. Initially I thought I'd just get a standard desktop drive, plug it into the back and move my movies there. However, I'm now thinking: would a network drive (which I have never used) allow me/family to: watch movies (incl. non-DRM) on the iPad or laptops direct from the drive, access family photos on the drive, access music from the drive? And what about showing movies on TV?

The other need I have is back-up. I actually recently purchased a refurbished Time Capsule from Apple Store, but haven't set it up yet (because wanting to resolve storage issue at same time). Can I back up to Time Capsule from an external drive/network drive?

Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
KarbonKev

KarbonKev is on a distinguished road

hi - been through a few myself and CANNOT recommend anything from Lacie quite honestly. Had a few external drives over the last 20 years and they really aren't very good after use for a while imo.

They don't last and the customer service from Lacie stinks, they just don't want to know, only interested in selling kit of course, also tried a Western Digital MyBook 1Tb studio edition and that failed after just over one year, of course (!). Just my two pennies worth ....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Drive Question--Brand--WD vs. Fantom | mac does'nt see my HDD »