New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Which External Hard Drive should I buy/Do you suggest?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

HappyGirl

HappyGirl is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: i Mac 5,1

what's weird is that yesterday when this first happened I was able to "see" it in the choices - in Disk Utility with my Apple CD - that's how I ran the "repair" that said there were no problems. At that time I wrote down the basic info (but not the serial #) - that's how I know it is: Hitachi Deskstar HDP725050GLA360 Media 465.8 GB. Is there any possibility I could "find" it again that way? What does "Serial ATA" mean? I'm assuming that's my Backup that I'm currently running on now?

The specs on this model say:

iMac5,1
Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GHz
4MB L2 cache
1 GB memory
bus speed 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version IM51.0090.B09
then a serial number - but I think that's to the computer not the HD

In the meantime, warranty claim or no, can I just get another external Backup HD and copy my data from my current backup via SuperDuper so at least I can remain up and running with a backup? To be honest, I'm noticing no difference in speed or performance.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGirl View Post
what's weird is that yesterday when this first happened I was able to "see" it in the choices - in Disk Utility with my Apple CD - that's how I ran the "repair" that said there were no problems. At that time I wrote down the basic info (but not the serial #) - that's how I know it is: Hitachi Deskstar HDP725050GLA360 Media 465.8 GB. Is there any possibility I could "find" it again that way? What does "Serial ATA" mean? I'm assuming that's my Backup that I'm currently running on now?

The specs on this model say:

iMac5,1
Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GHz
4MB L2 cache
1 GB memory
bus speed 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version IM51.0090.B09
then a serial number - but I think that's to the computer not the HD

In the meantime, warranty claim or no, can I just get another external Backup HD and copy my data from my current backup via SuperDuper so at least I can remain up and running with a backup? To be honest, I'm noticing no difference in speed or performance.
Yeah, you can certainly do that. But honestly, if your machine is not dragging (or at least the speed doesn't seem unusual) you probably have some issues you're not even aware of.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
HappyGirl

Anything you recommend I try to see if I can "find" it again so I can run the test?
QUOTE Thanks
HappyGirl

I just want to be sure I'm telling you the right info - I'm very confused as to what the 2 HDs are that I have that were showing in the Mac info:

When I Google the number that shows under "Serial-ATA" (ST3750528AS), up comes a Seagate Barracuda HD where the photos show an internal HD. If so that this is what is inside my iMac and what is failed and/or seeming to be unfindable - even though I can see this in the Serial-ATA of "about this Mac."

The Google search for the SimpleTech Simple Drive brings up photos of the external backup HD that I'm currently running now. When you click on one of these its Hitachi.

So I am confused as to which of these is what is failed inside my iMac and which is the external by looking at the "about this Mac info."

I look forward to whatever info you might suggest I do tomorrow.

Thank you soo so much for helping me!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGirl View Post
I just want to be sure I'm telling you the right info - I'm very confused as to what the 2 HDs are that I have that were showing in the Mac info:

When I Google the number that shows under "Serial-ATA" (ST3750528AS), up comes a Seagate Barracuda HD where the photos show an internal HD. If so that this is what is inside my iMac and what is failed and/or seeming to be unfindable - even though I can see this in the Serial-ATA of "about this Mac."

The Google search for the SimpleTech Simple Drive brings up photos of the external backup HD that I'm currently running now. When you click on one of these its Hitachi.

So I am confused as to which of these is what is failed inside my iMac and which is the external by looking at the "about this Mac info."

I look forward to whatever info you might suggest I do tomorrow.

Thank you soo so much for helping me!
The Seagate on 'Serial-ATA' is the internal drive. It won't respond to the SMART query, which is why you're having trouble getting diagnostics on it. Regardless, if it's clunking, you can bet you have a mechanical failure and the drive is toast. Being that you can see the drive in System Profiler, you should be able to see the serial number there. That's a good thing - that means that you should be able to do a warranty check. Here's the site that you'll need to kick off the process:

Test with SeaTools and Submit Return | Seagate

The Hitachi is what is inside of the external.

Replacing the hard drive on that model (iMac 5,1) isn't terribly difficult. The hardest part in my opinion is removing the aluminum tape around the outside of the LCD panel. Apple's service manuals tell you to peel it back, but that's neigh impossible (and likely, your Mac guy has already cut it and probably didn't bother to reseal it). If you want to, you can purchase a roll of aluminum tape at your local hardware store (or Home Depot) and use that to patch it up.

Aside from that, it's a pretty straightforward swap. Unfortunately, drive prices are really high right now due to massive flooding in Thailand, where many drives are manufactured. So, I would definitely see if you can get a warranty replacement for that drive.

Here is a tutorial on replacing your hard drive. There are also MANY YouTube videos that detail the process. Hopefully this helps a bit...

iMac Intel 20" EMC 2105 and 2118 Hard Drive Replacement - iFixit

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
HappyGirl

I can indeed see the serial # to the Seagate

I will check all the links you kindly gave me tomorrow. I'll have to see if I can get a receipt of some sort since I didn't buy the Seagate - it was installed by the Mac guy - so he would have the proof - unless they will take my sending them the overall receipt I have from when I paid him for the entire replacement of the crashed HD 2 years ago.

Meanwhile, if I do have to get my own again, wouldn't it be somewhere around $100? My biggest concern is that as time has passed I don't see many drives that say they will use Tiger - unless that makes no difference.

Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
HappyGirl

I'm just following up on this - before I do a Seagate return, I would really like to back-up my existing backup that I am running on, to have a second source of my data - just in case something goes wrong in the meantime.

It is making me very nervous running with no backup at all.

When I look at my existing Hitachi SimpleTech drive, it only has 1 port - which is what is connected via USB to my iMac. If I run get another external drive at BestBuy (or wherever) and connect that to my iMac in another USB (or Firewire) port, will I be able to "see" both separate HDs? Will I be able to tell SuperDuper to copy the data from my current Hitachi onto the new external?

Or do these externals have to be connected directly to each other?

Also, does it matter whether the new one specifies that Tiger will run on it? Most of these I see online are for newer versions of OSX, or they don't say anything, nor do they say they are bootable - isn't it SuperDuper and/or my Apple CD Utility that's telling it to "boot" and making it "bootable?"

Doesn't the data just copy & run whether its Tiger or Lion? Or is the Lion specs for the externals' own software they come with (as opposed to using SuperDuper?)

Is this possible for me to do?

Thank you in advance for your kind help.
QUOTE Thanks
HappyGirl

It's me again hoping you can help me. Bought a new Ext HD to use as backup to the Ext HD I'm currently running on so my system is backed up before I attempt replacing the internal HD.

Ran the SuperDuper all last night (10+ hours) only to get to the last couple of GiBs and have an error - apparently caused by something called AIR.

I have no idea what this is or does, but have spent the entire day today trying to get help from Adobe on how to uninstall whatever this is.

Being that I'm on OS 10.4.11 this is what I see inside my Finder:

/Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Application Installer

and

/Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Uninstaller

If I click on the Uninstaller, it gives me a message that says "An error occurred while uninstalling Adobe AIR. Uninstallation may not be allowed by your administrator. Please contact your administrator."

I am the only user/owner/administrator

The Adobe Chat person had no clue and told me to go post my question in their Forums (where it looks like many people get no answers.)

I found one area in their Troubleshooting (but don't know if this is for newer Macs) that has to do with typing things in Terminal, which I am completely clueless about and afraid to try without asking you guys if I should do this.

They say to type this in Terminal:

Follow these steps for the manual solution:
1. Using Finder, navigate to your Applications folder and look for a file (not a folder) named "Adobe".* If one exists, rename or delete it.
2. Open the Terminal application in your Applications/Utilities folder.* Run the following commands:
3. sudo chmod -R ug=rwx,o=rx /Applications/Adobe
4. sudo chmod -R ug=rwx,o=rx ~/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/
5. sudo chmod -R ug=rwx,o=rx ~/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/AIR/
6. sudo chmod -R ug=rwx,o=rx /Users/Shared/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/
Next, adjust the ownership of a particular folder. Run the following two commands in Terminal, noting the user name response of the "whoami" command.* Replace username with your username in the next command:
1. whoami
2. sudo chown -R username:staff ~/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/AIR/
Close the Terminal application and rerun the Adobe AIR *installer.*

Should I do this???? Am I going to cause more headaches?

Can I just not trash these and try to backup again?:

/Library/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework
/Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Application Installer.app
/Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Uninstaller.app

Any help you can give me would be hugely appreciated!

Thank you...
QUOTE Thanks
SaucerBoy

SaucerBoy is on a distinguished road

I would highly recommend the Seagate GoFlex line with the Thunderbolt adaptor. Fastest connectivity available, and the cheapest Thunderbolt option yet. Although the drive speed is still a bottleneck to the theoretical speed that Thunderbolt should be able to achieve.
QUOTE Thanks
SweetPea

SweetPea is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB,1067, OSX 10.10.1 & iPad Mini 2 - 32 GB WiFi iOS 8.1.2

This thread seems to be a great place to ask a question or two:

I have been a PC owner and happily now am a MAC.

1. Why do I want to backup a mac?
2. If I do what do I want to back up?
3. How often do I backup?
4. I have Snow Leopard, should I back up before going to Mountain Lion?
5. My Mac is a 500 GB, I am only using 60 GB what type of an external drive should I purchase?

Any other informatioon would be helpful.

I Love my Mac and want to keep it "safe".

SweetPea
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPea View Post
This thread seems to be a great place to ask a question or two:
I have been a PC owner and happily now am a MAC.
Point of clarification, Mac is short for "Macintosh", it's not an acronym. So, there's no need to type it in all caps. Additionally, your Mac is indeed a PC. It just runs a different operating system.

Quote:
1. Why do I want to backup a mac?
To maintain the integrity of your software and data. A backup protects you against hardware failure and/or accidental deletions and bad revisions to your data.

Quote:
2. If I do what do I want to back up?
Everything stored on your hard disk. Fortunately, Time Machine does this for you automatically. All you have to do is hook up an external hard drive and enable Time Machine.

Quote:
3. How often do I backup?
It depends on the degree of protection you want and how sensitive your data is.

Quote:
4. I have Snow Leopard, should I back up before going to Mountain Lion?
Lion is the most current version of OS X. Mountain Lion, announced this week, is not currently available to ordinary users, nor do we know how worthy of an upgrade it will be. But yes, in general, you want to ALWAYS make sure you have a current backup before you make a major change to your operating system.

Quote:
5. My Mac is a 500 GB, I am only using 60 GB what type of an external drive should I purchase?
Generally, it's important to have a backup drive that is equal to or greater than the size of your internal drive. This allows you to grow your storage needs without having to worry about upgrading your backup device.

Quote:
Any other informatioon would be helpful.

I Love my Mac and want to keep it "safe".

SweetPea
Regardless of what kind of computer you have, it's always been - and always will be - important to have backups. Remember - there are only two kinds of computer users in this world - those who have lost data and those who will

QUOTE Thanks
austriker

austriker is on a distinguished road

howdy folks,

So I have got another 'I need a HD and what do you suggest' question..

Here is my particular dilemna..

I currently have a 24" iMac with 650 GB internal and a lacie desktop 500gb non-portable HD. I am a photo grapher and thus have lots of photos to back and videos/tv shows. Thus right now the lacie drive is full of that sort of stuff but I would like to use it time machine my imac. I used to have a WD portable mybook and it died, well the connector died, which seems to be a common issue. Thus I refuse to buy more WD.

So I am looking for a portable drive so I can bring my photos/videos with me on the go (on my old macbook). Preferably about 1-1.5 TB and one thing I would very much like is to have it firewire 800 compatible for my imac. And the more reliable the better, but also cheap is good (haha to make it hard)..

here's what I am leaning towards right now: Amazon.com: Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1.5 TB USB 3.0 Ultra-Portable External Hard Drive in Black STAA1500100: Electronics
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Take note the drive you linked to from Amazon is USB 3 and will only operate at USB 2 speeds with your Mac. They do advertise an upgrade cable which will give FW 800 capability to the drive. You might want to find out how much that upgrade cable - adapter will cost first.

Reliability is important when you're dealing with things like photos and videos which are impossible to replace if hardware problems occur. Redundancy is a must.
QUOTE Thanks
austriker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Take note the drive you linked to from Amazon is USB 3 and will only operate at USB 2 speeds with your Mac. They do advertise an upgrade cable which will give FW 800 capability to the drive. You might want to find out how much that upgrade cable - adapter will cost first.

Reliability is important when you're dealing with things like photos and videos which are impossible to replace if hardware problems occur. Redundancy is a must.
thanks for the help. yea sorry I did realize that but forgot to add it to my post. The upgrade cable to firewire 800 is about $25 and I would (like you mentioned) also have to purchase it. Seems not many drives (that I could find) ship with firewire 800 in the box. Oh and my macbook is USB 2 so I need that cable also (to make it more complicated lol)

thanks again
QUOTE Thanks
austriker

or perhaps this drive would be better: Amazon.com: Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1 TB FireWire 800 USB 2.0 Ultra-Portable External Hard Drive for Mac STBA1000100: Electronics

it sounds like its a step in terms of performance and quality and it appears to be about the same price, considering it contains a fw 800 cable in it..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Drive Question--Brand--WD vs. Fantom | mac does'nt see my HDD »