New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Which External Hard Drive should I buy/Do you suggest?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

brightondf

brightondf is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2 GHz Power PC G5 2005. 6.5 GB Ram, OS X 10.5.8. Macbook 2.4 GHz core 2 Duo, 2 GB, OS X 10.5.8

ok changed my mind,,, going for a G tech one since they are also Hitachi mech inside and being in the UK OWC will take ages to get shipped over
QUOTE Thanks
abstractmotor

abstractmotor is on a distinguished road

I am looking into getting an external drive for backup. I currently have a Western Digital portable HD that I use for extra storage. However, because it is FAT32 format, I cannot upload files over 5GB. (I'd rather not reformat in HFS b/c I'd like to be able to open files on a PC as well)
This has been a problem for me and I wondered if newer WD HD's still have this problem? Or if Seagate or another company would be better?
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abstractmotor View Post
I am looking into getting an external drive for backup. I currently have a Western Digital portable HD that I use for extra storage. However, because it is FAT32 format, I cannot upload files over 5GB. (I'd rather not reformat in HFS b/c I'd like to be able to open files on a PC as well)
This has been a problem for me and I wondered if newer WD HD's still have this problem? Or if Seagate or another company would be better?
FAT32 limits files to 4gb. And any drive formatted in FAT32 is like this.

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
Rambaud

Rambaud is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by abstractmotor View Post
You could re-format the drive as NTFS (losing all the data) and load an NTFS driver onto your mac.

Apple - Downloads - System/Disk Utilities - NTFS-3G
QUOTE Thanks
BDD888

BDD888 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 27" quad-core iMac, 8GB RAM, 2TB HD...15" MBP w/ 4GB RAM...etc.

I just bought a WD 2TB Essential for Mac. The VCD and SmartWare has been a royal pain. When working it's slow. Tried removing it by formatting the drive. Downloaded firmware updater and Virtual CD Manager. Following the steps from an article about how to remove the WD software from the drive (http://www.marccizravi.com/2010/remove-wd-smartware/) it was updating SmartWare the SmartWare icon and the My Book icons disappeared from my desktop. Thought it was normal. Now the drive is stuck in what looks to be a sleep mode. Power dot is dimmed.

I unplugged/plugged the power cable. Nothing. Pressed the on/off button on the back. The dot would brighten when pressed. Dim again when I removed my finger.

Might need to refund this drive and get another. Maybe another brand. How is this Lacie?
NCIX.com - Buy LaCie Starck Desktop 2TB 7200RPM USB 2.0 External Hard Drive for Windows and Mac - Lacie - 301889KUA - in Canada

Any opinions on the Seagate GoFlex line? Does their preloaded software get in the way? Or can you just choose not to use it and let Time Machine do it's thing? I'm also considering this one...

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...c755ed430cen02

Last edited by BDD888; 02-26-2011 at 02:57 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
codda

codda is a jewel in the roughcodda is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G

Anything from OWC...just my humble opinion...Do not use preloaded software...if your keeping it simple for back ups only...stick with Time Machine.
QUOTE Thanks
toddiacho

toddiacho is on a distinguished road

I want to buy an external HD for my 2007 G5. Any thoughts on what I should get? I don't think this old Mac even has USB 2.0 does it?
QUOTE Thanks
Metro

Metro is on a distinguished road

I need to buy an external HD for heavy video/photography work using FCP, STP, DVD Studio, Compressor, Lightroom and Photoshop. I have my eye on this:

G-Tech 1TB 4th Gen G-Drive External Hard Drive - FW800, USB 2.0 & eSATA | Store | Tekserve

Anyone have any other suggestions? I refuse to buy WD again. Too many of their HDD's have died on me in the past, even before I became a videographer/photographer.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro View Post
I need to buy an external HD for heavy video/photography work using FCP, STP, DVD Studio, Compressor, Lightroom and Photoshop. I have my eye on this:

G-Tech 1TB 4th Gen G-Drive External Hard Drive - FW800, USB 2.0 & eSATA | Store | Tekserve

Anyone have any other suggestions? I refuse to buy WD again. Too many of their HDD's have died on me in the past, even before I became a videographer/photographer.
To be honest, for professional work, I'd be looking at a RAID 1 device for an external device - this way, if one of the drives fails, you won't lose your data. RAID 1 devices are mirrored - that is, you have two redundant disks that instantly replicate the data across two physical drives. OWC has some nice units like this one that do exactly that. You'll pay a little more up-front, but IMO, it's worth it for the peace of mind in knowing that your data is safe.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddiacho View Post
I want to buy an external HD for my 2007 G5. Any thoughts on what I should get? I don't think this old Mac even has USB 2.0 does it?
I think you're underestimating the age of that machine. In 2005, Apple started transitioning to Intel, and by 2006, I believe the entire line was moved over to it. With that said, USB 2.0 became prevalent across the board by about 2003. So, you should have 2.0 ports. Is that an iMac or a PowerMac?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
creativepro

creativepro is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac 0SX 10.5.7 2.4. GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Check out OWC Storage Solution - I just purchased a 1TB OWC Mercury Elite - Has an excellent review
QUOTE Thanks
Biffo

Biffo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac OS X Version 10.6.7

I bought a Western Digital, My Passport Essential 500 gb. If you buy it make sure you buy the one for the Mac, because it`s already configured for you. Also you can get support. Biffo
QUOTE Thanks
pedropete

Location: Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retirement and a bad divorce
pedropete can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis View Post
There is no reason why a hard drive would be more or less reliable based on the OS of the system that it is plugged into. In my experience no HD manufacturer is perfect, but I think WD and Seagate are better than some of the others.
I had an awful run when 3 oof my external drives went erm - 'bottoms-up'...

I have so many un-marked cables that I think I must have plugged in the wrong power rating to at least 1..
And - one of my 6 cats knocked an Iomega on to the floor from about 3 feet...
Another Iomega has just stopped working - for no apparent reason...

I have recently invested in 6 Western Digital 2TB Drives which are a good price at the mo from Amazon.co.uk...
I am NOT MOVING any of them, and their flat base stay fixed to my Mac Station these days...
It really makes you consider having 'back-ups of your back-ups'.
Just in case.

I would have liked some Mac externals like Time Machine - but they are prohibitively expensive - and not so well packed with enough memory for my needs...

Live each day as it comes - it may be your last !?
QUOTE Thanks
Rlottaviano

Rlottaviano is on a distinguished road

I'm looking for an external hard drive for my old G5 running 10.3.9. All the models I've looked at require 10.4 or later. Can you please recommend to me a make and model that will plug and play with my system?

Thanks.

Bob Ottaviano
QUOTE Thanks
robertgarven

robertgarven is on a distinguished road

I have 3 WD old my book hard drives great drives. Just bought a WD My Book Studio LX, it is horrible!! It wont boot from firewire only USB and has all sorts of permanent software that is unremoveable. I would not suggest this drive to anyone. I have heard it has a problem with TIme machine. I am considering OWC but have heard some bad stuff about them although that was from reviews a few years old. Why cant someone make a simple HD that works, I can reformat it and dont want anything fancy just storage!!!!!!. That is all I want

Robert Garven - Ventura, CA
Apple Imac 27" - 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 - 10.6.7 Snow Leopard

Last edited by robertgarven; 08-08-2011 at 02:06 AM.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Drive Question--Brand--WD vs. Fantom | mac does'nt see my HDD »