Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

I have very pleasant experience with the WD MyBook line. The MyBook 1TB NAS I have has served me for 2 years and is still working great, only opened to clean the internal fan once. But That's not a machine I can recommend for video editing because of the slow transfer rates. I have one of the black MyBook (1TB) with firewire, usb and eSata, it's been working flawlessly for a few months connected to a PC which is always on. This one has pretty fast transfer rates.
    Also, I haven't experienced any problem with my LaCie little disk (500gb). I bought it 4 months ago, this is probably the best portable hard drive ever, very high transfer rates (30mbps).
    I wouldn't recommend WD passport. The new line can't work on some older iMacs, and the one unit I had from the older line broke down after a few months of use.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2013. OSX 10.9. 8Gb mem, 3.6 GHz 750Gb HD. iPod Touch 2009. AppleTV2
    I'm waiting for my WD MyBook 1Tb to arrive to use with my MacBook. My MacBook doesn't have Firewire 800 only 400. Now I know that adaptor cables come with the MyBook but isn't it better to use the USB connection since it transfers at 480, where the Firewire, I assume, won't get above 400?

What's the word?

Grrrrr

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by growlgrowl View Post
    I'm waiting for my WD MyBook 1Tb to arrive to use with my MacBook. My MacBook doesn't have Firewire 800 only 400. Now I know that adaptor cables come with the MyBook but isn't it better to use the USB connection since it transfers at 480, where the Firewire, I assume, won't get above 400?

What's the word?

Grrrrr
    USB2 has a peak transfer rate of 480Mb/s in short bursts, but in reality, Firewire 400 can do faster sustained transfer rates. And since Firewire has its own controller, it doesn't consume system resources like USB can.

It's unfortunate that Apple nixed FW on the Aluminum Macbooks. It's my hope that the next generation brings it back, particularly since it was Apple that pushed the standard all along.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2013. OSX 10.9. 8Gb mem, 3.6 GHz 750Gb HD. iPod Touch 2009. AppleTV2
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    USB2 has a peak transfer rate of 480Mb/s in short bursts, but in reality, Firewire 400 can do faster sustained transfer rates. And since Firewire has its own controller, it doesn't consume system resources like USB can.

It's unfortunate that Apple nixed FW on the Aluminum Macbooks. It's my hope that the next generation brings it back, particularly since it was Apple that pushed the standard all along.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll use the Fw!

Gggrrrr

ioSafe. Their external drives (and, for that matter, internal drives) are waterproof and fireproof.

Specs:
    MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
    Quote Originally Posted by brettbh View Post
    ioSafe. Their external drives (and, for that matter, internal drives) are waterproof and fireproof.
    Amazing drive.

Specs:
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    I'm looking for a 1TB external hd that I can connect to my router via usb or ethernet (whichever is faster) so my pc (wired to router) and my mbp (wireless to router) can both be backed up. (unless there is a hd with usb for the pc and wireless connectivity for my mbp so I can skip the router altogether)
    I will partition 500gb (roughly) for each machine.
    I want to use time machine for the Mac to automatically backup to the hd and I'll backup the pc manually.

Where would be a good place to find something like this (online or in store) in the $75-$150 range?
    Last edited by MYmacROX; 06-15-2009 at 09:13 PM. Reason: added ethernet connect option

Quote Originally Posted by hagios1972 View Post
    Amazing drive.
    Indeed. They are a bit more expensive than most, but not by much. But even tho' the ioSafe is fire and water resistant, I still backup online too. The key is not to put all your eggs in one basket, or all your baskets in one place! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
    I'm looking for a 1TB external hd that I can connect to my router via usb or ethernet (whichever is faster) so my pc (wired to router) and my mbp (wireless to router) can both be backed up. (unless there is a hd with usb for the pc and wireless connectivity for my mbp so I can skip the router altogether)
    I will partition 500gb (roughly) for each machine.
    I want to use time machine for the Mac to automatically backup to the hd and I'll backup the pc manually.

Where would be a good place to find something like this (online or in store) in the $75-$150 range?
    Check this one, the raidon NAS enclosure is also a printer server.
    : IntraTANK NAS 2 bay Gigabit LAN RAID 0, 1 Enclosure [RD-SL3620-2S-LB2] - $179.95
    You can even access to it thru mobileme.

Specs:
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    maybe not
    Thanks, JCruikshank but it doesn't have any storage included. I don't want to spend more. Maybe it's not meant to be. )-:
    Also, I recently discovered the LAN port on my router is only 10/100 and not Gigabit, so I think that means I'd be just as well off with something that connects via USB 2.0. Is that right? Can I buy just any external storage and connect it to my router and expect to access it with both computers? ...well, provided it is windows and Mac compatible of course... and I do all the formatting, etc.

i suggest an iomega. thats what the mac store people told me is the best.

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by kenz12 View Post
    Not sure that I would recommend IOMega. That company has been circling the drain for quite some time now. Go with a vendor that will be in business long enough to honor their warranty.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Quote Originally Posted by kenz12 View Post
    Probably because that's the one they have the largest mark-up on.
    I'm with cwa - wouldn't buy anything from iomega unless it's your only choice.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    BlackBook 13.3" 2.13ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2gb SDRAM 160gb HD
    I wouldn't take anything iomega if it was given to me after my experience with a 250mb zipdisk drive from them. Yes I know that's going back a long time but that's how memorable it was.

Specs:
    15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
    I bought a SATA dockable HD stand, and love it. It takes a standard SATA internal drive, in both 2.5 and 3.5 sizes and makes in an external drive. I have several Western Digital internal drives that I use with it.
    Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10

Thread Information