New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Which External Hard Drive should I buy/Do you suggest?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vvangelovski

vvangelovski is on a distinguished road

I have very pleasant experience with the WD MyBook line. The MyBook 1TB NAS I have has served me for 2 years and is still working great, only opened to clean the internal fan once. But That's not a machine I can recommend for video editing because of the slow transfer rates. I have one of the black MyBook (1TB) with firewire, usb and eSata, it's been working flawlessly for a few months connected to a PC which is always on. This one has pretty fast transfer rates.
Also, I haven't experienced any problem with my LaCie little disk (500gb). I bought it 4 months ago, this is probably the best portable hard drive ever, very high transfer rates (30mbps).
I wouldn't recommend WD passport. The new line can't work on some older iMacs, and the one unit I had from the older line broke down after a few months of use.
QUOTE Thanks
growlgrowl

growlgrowl is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2013. OSX 10.9. 8Gb mem, 3.6 GHz 750Gb HD. iPod Touch 2009. AppleTV2

I'm waiting for my WD MyBook 1Tb to arrive to use with my MacBook. My MacBook doesn't have Firewire 800 only 400. Now I know that adaptor cables come with the MyBook but isn't it better to use the USB connection since it transfers at 480, where the Firewire, I assume, won't get above 400?

What's the word?

Grrrrr
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by growlgrowl View Post
I'm waiting for my WD MyBook 1Tb to arrive to use with my MacBook. My MacBook doesn't have Firewire 800 only 400. Now I know that adaptor cables come with the MyBook but isn't it better to use the USB connection since it transfers at 480, where the Firewire, I assume, won't get above 400?

What's the word?

Grrrrr
USB2 has a peak transfer rate of 480Mb/s in short bursts, but in reality, Firewire 400 can do faster sustained transfer rates. And since Firewire has its own controller, it doesn't consume system resources like USB can.

It's unfortunate that Apple nixed FW on the Aluminum Macbooks. It's my hope that the next generation brings it back, particularly since it was Apple that pushed the standard all along.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
growlgrowl

growlgrowl is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2013. OSX 10.9. 8Gb mem, 3.6 GHz 750Gb HD. iPod Touch 2009. AppleTV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
USB2 has a peak transfer rate of 480Mb/s in short bursts, but in reality, Firewire 400 can do faster sustained transfer rates. And since Firewire has its own controller, it doesn't consume system resources like USB can.

It's unfortunate that Apple nixed FW on the Aluminum Macbooks. It's my hope that the next generation brings it back, particularly since it was Apple that pushed the standard all along.
Thanks for the advice. I'll use the Fw!

Gggrrrr
QUOTE Thanks
brettbh

brettbh is on a distinguished road

ioSafe. Their external drives (and, for that matter, internal drives) are waterproof and fireproof.
QUOTE Thanks
hagios1972

hagios1972 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettbh View Post
ioSafe. Their external drives (and, for that matter, internal drives) are waterproof and fireproof.
Amazing drive.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

I'm looking for a 1TB external hd that I can connect to my router via usb or ethernet (whichever is faster) so my pc (wired to router) and my mbp (wireless to router) can both be backed up. (unless there is a hd with usb for the pc and wireless connectivity for my mbp so I can skip the router altogether)
I will partition 500gb (roughly) for each machine.
I want to use time machine for the Mac to automatically backup to the hd and I'll backup the pc manually.

Where would be a good place to find something like this (online or in store) in the $75-$150 range?

Last edited by MYmacROX; 06-15-2009 at 08:13 PM. Reason: added ethernet connect option
QUOTE Thanks
brettbh

brettbh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagios1972 View Post
Amazing drive.
Indeed. They are a bit more expensive than most, but not by much. But even tho' the ioSafe is fire and water resistant, I still backup online too. The key is not to put all your eggs in one basket, or all your baskets in one place! :-)
QUOTE Thanks
JCruikshank

JCruikshank is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
I'm looking for a 1TB external hd that I can connect to my router via usb or ethernet (whichever is faster) so my pc (wired to router) and my mbp (wireless to router) can both be backed up. (unless there is a hd with usb for the pc and wireless connectivity for my mbp so I can skip the router altogether)
I will partition 500gb (roughly) for each machine.
I want to use time machine for the Mac to automatically backup to the hd and I'll backup the pc manually.

Where would be a good place to find something like this (online or in store) in the $75-$150 range?
Check this one, the raidon NAS enclosure is also a printer server.
: IntraTANK NAS 2 bay Gigabit LAN RAID 0, 1 Enclosure [RD-SL3620-2S-LB2] - $179.95
You can even access to it thru mobileme.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Thanks, JCruikshank but it doesn't have any storage included. I don't want to spend more. Maybe it's not meant to be. )-:
Also, I recently discovered the LAN port on my router is only 10/100 and not Gigabit, so I think that means I'd be just as well off with something that connects via USB 2.0. Is that right? Can I buy just any external storage and connect it to my router and expect to access it with both computers? ...well, provided it is windows and Mac compatible of course... and I do all the formatting, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
kenz12

kenz12 is on a distinguished road

i suggest an iomega. thats what the mac store people told me is the best.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz12 View Post
Not sure that I would recommend IOMega. That company has been circling the drain for quite some time now. Go with a vendor that will be in business long enough to honor their warranty.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz12 View Post
Probably because that's the one they have the largest mark-up on.
I'm with cwa - wouldn't buy anything from iomega unless it's your only choice.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
CameraMike

CameraMike will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: BlackBook 13.3" 2.13ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2gb SDRAM 160gb HD

I wouldn't take anything iomega if it was given to me after my experience with a 250mb zipdisk drive from them. Yes I know that's going back a long time but that's how memorable it was.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

I bought a SATA dockable HD stand, and love it. It takes a standard SATA internal drive, in both 2.5 and 3.5 sizes and makes in an external drive. I have several Western Digital internal drives that I use with it.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Drive Question--Brand--WD vs. Fantom | mac does'nt see my HDD »