New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Which External Hard Drive should I buy/Do you suggest?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AndrewK

I have had a Lacie Big Disk Extreme 400gb firewire 800 drive since March and it has been running great.
QUOTE Thanks
Bohemian

I need an external hard drive, at least 250gigs in space. Who makes the best. I've heard really bad things about LaCie.

Best,
Chris
QUOTE Thanks
_humfy

_humfy will become famous soon enough

I'd be interested in this one too if anyone can point me in the right direction. I need something huge for maybe about 150 - 200 with as much space as possible (I want to get all my music on the bugger).

I have looked at Lacie as well and I'd been considering one of theirs. I did buy a compact DVD writer from them a while back and I have absolutely no complaints. Even through the Firewire port it's still faster than my Mac Drive!
QUOTE Thanks
timswim78

timswim78 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohemian
I need an external hard drive, at least 250gigs in space. Who makes the best. I've heard really bad things about LaCie.

Best,
Chris
You can make your own for the cost of the harddrive plus $40 to cover the cost of an external case. You can get a lot more versatility and can save about 50% by doing it yourself. Here are some instructions that show how easy it is.
http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/201/42/
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

timswim78 is right. Watch for sales and build your own, you'll save some money and get a product that is just as good or better than the prepackaged ones.

QUOTE Thanks
alexmaccoll

alexmaccoll is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5

Yuhuh, i got hold of a MAXTOR firewire case, and stuck a 3.5" 250GB hdd in it. Total price: 88 as apposed to the 160 or so at www.cwonline.co.uk
Alex
QUOTE Thanks
lil

Exactly what I did except I chose a 2.5" device and enclosure for 2 reasons:

- More portable with my 12" PB
- If my intenal drive should die I have a direct replacement

I run it off of FireWire, works lovely and I use it as my backup drive.

I spent about 50 for an aluminium enclosure with 60gig 5400RPM WD Hard disk; not bad really! Came with all the cables and is self powered.

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Please try the search button at the top, this was discussed in depth a few weeks ago and I'm sure you'll find it helpful.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Books

Books is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0

Same, bought a nice HDD enclosure and just toss in some HDD's when needed. Much cheaper and more flexable.

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

If you really want to get fancy you can go with something like this:

Thats a 4 drive enclosure ($189), 2 200Gb drives ($80 each on E-bay) and 2 250Gb drives ($95 each on E-Bay). It's set up in two RAID arrays for Music.

QUOTE Thanks
NicBook

NicBook is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, some what new(i had been reading the post a lot time, but just never sign up)... I just got my new macbook and i need some recommendation for external HD, 120GB build in is not enough for music and movie. SO..... please help me out here@~~~

Thanks

Nic
QUOTE Thanks
KB3GZW

KB3GZW is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD

do you want it to be portable like your macbook or a non-portable version?

I Love Free Software.
Ext. Storage: 500GB MyBook Pro, 1TB MyBook Studio
iPod: 120 GB Classic - Phone : Treo 800w
TWITTER Follow Me
QUOTE Thanks
NicBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB3GZW View Post
do you want it to be portable like your macbook or a non-portable version?
most likely I will just use it at home to back at my macbook

thx
QUOTE Thanks
NicBook

I just bought a new macbook, and looking to buy a external HD to back up my files, also with leopard coming out, the time machine going to require more HD space.. Any suggestion? btw...im kinda new to mac, so still not really sure about all the formating stuff...

thx
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

go on newegg, buy a nice firewire 400 enclosure 3.5", 40-50$.

try to get one that has a sata internal connection. and just buy a 500gb hd for 130$

under 180$ you can have something that would cost over 200$

or, if u just wanna get something...look at the Western Digital MyBooks.

they come in usb only, usb/fw400, and i think there is one that is fw800.

usb will be cheapest, but id spend the extra 15$ and get the one with fw400.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...y+Book&x=0&y=0
theres a link, just get what u want size wise.

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Drive Question--Brand--WD vs. Fantom | mac does'nt see my HDD »