Page 19 of 43 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Mac does support eSATA
    FYI, the Mac does support eSATA. You just need an eSATA Express Card, such as the one from Sonnett - works great with MBP although a little bulky. FW800 is probably the most convenient way to go though for just a backup drive.

I've seen one report on Pricegrabber.com regarding the MyBook Studio Drive working properly with Mac OS X Leopard. Apparently it doesn't spin up/down properly. Only found one report of this so far.

Ref: http://reviews.pricegrabber.com/hard-drives/m/50639599/

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    I currently have a G-Drive and LaCie's. Both are great. I would avoid the MyBooks, there have been lots of reports of issues between them and OS X.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

Specs:
    Mac Mini Core 2 Duo, PPC G4
    I have two relatively new drives - a WD My Book Premium and a Maxtor One Touch 4 Plus. I wouldn't recommend the WD drive because (1) WD has a poor reputation, (2) the FW connection in the drive does seem to be a bit quirky (i.e., it doesn't always work well with other peripherals) and (3) it makes an annoying throbbing sound.

I've only had the Maxtor One Touch 4 Plus for a few weeks, but, so far, I like it. It's extremely quiet, works well with Time Machine, and never heats up. The only thing I don't like is that you have to unplug it from the power source every time you turn off the computer. If you can live with that inconvenience, it seems to be a good, low-priced drive. Maxtor/Seagate has a good reputation and their technical support (via email) was helpful. Here's the info on the 750 GB model:

http://www.maxtorsolutions.com/en/catalog/OT4_Plus/

Claire
    Claire Rottenberg
    Homepage: Mac Tips and More
    Follow me on Twitter

Need External HD input before buying
    We just bought a macbook 2.2 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo and are upgrading memory to 4GB, today we're buying a imac 24" and 2.4 GHZ Core 2 Duo, 320 GB hard drive.....

I do a lot of photography so we know we want a 1TB external HD but I have read, and read and not sure which brand to buy....

Input please,

Thank you!!!

Specs:
    Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
    You might want to look into a WD Mybook Studio. Just bought one recently, even wrote a thread about it. I'm quite pleased with it so far.
    Before that, I had a Lacie d2 320GB drive. That worked really well while video editing, so I'm sure that drive would suit you with no problem.
    Bismillah ihr Rhman ihr Raheem

The only way to truly learn and gain experience is from making mistakes.
    Thats why I'm a friggin genius.

Specs:
    27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
    If it's only for Time Machine backup, you don't really need to spend extra on firewire connectivity. After the initial backup, Time Machine only does incremental backups of changes you make, so USB will plenty to handle that. Everyone gets so worked up over firewire and having huge speed for their backups, but unless you're regularly transferring huge amounts of data to and from your external drive, it's like buying a Mac Pro just to surf the web and send/receive email; complete overkill for what you need.
    "Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"

Specs:
    15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
    From what I've heard go with several medium sized HDs rather than one huge one (1TB for example). My brother does a lot of photo work and he has 3 LaCies of different sizes from 100 to 400 GB. That way if a drive fails you don't loose all your data.

If you still want to go with a bigger drive, read as many reviews and do a lot of research. I recently bought a 500GB OWC Firewire drive for 200 bucks with 2 day shipping. So far I am very very satisfied.

Everyone usually suggests buying from newegg.
    l 8GB iPhone 3G l 15" Macbook Pro l Powerbook G4 15" l 8GB iPod Touch l 4GB iPod Mini l

Specs:
    2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
    Well I have 3 of these MyBooks and plenty of other WD drives and none have ever had problems. I have used it on 4 OS X Macs and they all have worked. I am also using mine as a "hub" for other peripherals and that works fine for me every time. Maybe you guys just have bad luck.
    I Love Free Software.
    Ext. Storage: 500GB MyBook Pro, 1TB MyBook Studio
    iPod: 120 GB Classic - Phone : Treo 800w
    TWITTER Follow Me

Specs:
    Mac Mini Core 2 Duo, PPC G4
    Glad to hear of good experiences with the WD My Book. I've owned mine for only a few months and it seems to work fine except for the annoying hum. All the negative reports on the drive had me worried. Thanks for the positive feedback.

Claire
    Claire Rottenberg
    Homepage: Mac Tips and More
    Follow me on Twitter

LaCie external hard drives for Mac minis
    According to my rep at Insight.com, LaCie discontinued the line of external hard drives that are built so they stack neatly with the Mac minis (matching both in size and appearance) "because Apple is discontinuing the current Mac mini line this month".

Hmmm... So I'm guessing either no more Mac minis or a redesign.

Nothing too new or shocking, the rumor mill's been pretty clear about this (the Mac Nano), but I thought maybe someone would find it interesting to hear it from a VAR and distributor.
    iMac, MB, MB Air, nano

Specs:
    MBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
    Interesting find.

Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    Just to play devil's advocate...how would LaCie know?

(The answer, most likely, is, "they read the same rumors we all do.")

Specs:
    MacBook
    It would be even more interesting with a link to some proof, other than a sales rep's hearsay.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    20" iMac
    MyBook External Harddrives
    I'm on the market for an external harddrive and I've decided to go with a MyBook Pro or MyBook Studio drive by Western Digital.

I went to the Western Digital site tonight to order the drive and I couldn't because I live in Canada. I didn't think it was a big deal though because there are other online retailers, right? NOPE. Every Canadian site I go to doesn't have it listed. They have other WD drives but not one of the ones I'm interested in.

So I went to bigger players like Amazon and DELL. They have the drives but won't ship them to Canada.

WHAT GIVES!

Specs:
    Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
    I bought my MyBook Pro new on eBay. It was cheaper there than anyone else I could find.

January 2008 Member of the Month

Thread Information