New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Which External Hard Drive should I buy/Do you suggest?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

deathtolife04

deathtolife04 is an unknown at this point

OK I think I found what I want!

What do you guys think about this one???

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1185271084002

Would it work for backing all my stuff up and storing extra files?

Last edited by deathtolife04; 12-09-2007 at 09:07 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
deathtolife04

OR maybe this one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1191626998190

Because I just remembered I'm running low on plug-ins in my room! It wouldn't fit if it was a big AC adapter...
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

either one should work, a lot of people use the WD Mybook series

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
deathtolife04

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
either one should work, a lot of people use the WD Mybook series
OK and I wouldn't have any problems backing up a 60 gb internal hard drive on either of them? Like, just sync, and then be able to store extra stuff, too?

I just didn't know the difference between the "essential" one and the rest of them??
QUOTE Thanks
mikepugs

mikepugs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard

Right now I'm pretty sold on this drive:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other.../MAU4F7500G16/

My brother suggested LaCie as he has several of there drives with his MBP, but it seems like this is a great deal for $ per GB. Western Digital drives seem to be popular around here too.

I'm in the market for a firewire 400 350-750 GB drive, preferable 500, anywhere from $150 to $250. Is this one a good bet? What are people's experiences with OWC drives?

Just lookin' for some feedback so I don't end up with a dead drive. I like that there's a 2 year warranty on this one, though.

Thanks in advance

l 8GB iPhone 3G l 15" Macbook Pro l Powerbook G4 15" l 8GB iPod Touch l 4GB iPod Mini l
QUOTE Thanks
PeterLZ

PeterLZ is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4GHz, G5 2.5GHz, PowerBook G4

I've been buying from OWC for many years. Their products and service have always been top notch.
QUOTE Thanks
jsgreen

jsgreen is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" Alm 2.4Ghz iMac 750Gb HD 4Gb Ram

I bought the OWC 750GB Quad (800/400/USB/eSATA) version of the drive in your link about 3 weeks ago as a backup. No problems at all. They send some extra bits of software on the drive - be aware of that if you partition it (I have a partition for TimeMachine, another for CCC and another for SuperDuper).

I also purchased my RAM modules from OWC - they were excellent in helping me figure out an issue (used the chat support feature on their web site.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

500GB external drive for $187.99? Dude, you are seriously overpaying if you go with OWC. You can get this drive, which includes Firewire, for only $133.99. My brother has that drive and it works great.

You can get a 750GB drive with Firewire for a little less than a hundred dollars more. If you stick with just USB, your cost drops significantly.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I bought that case in the quad interface and popped in my own Seagate 750GB drive. It has been performing flawlessly thus far.

The only draw back for me with the OWC cases - they use IDE drives instead of SATA drives in all the cases that do not have an eSATA port. It is not an issue now, but could be one down the road if you decide to put that drive into a newer computer.

The draw back with Lacie - 1) only a 1 year warranty, 2) they do not tell you what drive is inside their case, 3) they do not give you the balance of the manufacturers warranty on the drive in the case, 4) while there are quite a few Mac users that recommend them - if you start reading reviews on Lacie - they have the lowest percentage of positive (4 & 5) ratings of any hard drive reseller (except maybe Iomega)

Have heard pretty good things about the Fantom drives that Kash has pointed you to and would not be averse to one of those. If the warranty term is of issue to you, increasing the warranty to 2 yrs thru newegg will increase it's price to $174 vs the OWC drive which will still have another year on the drive plus the software they include if it is of interest to you.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Last edited by bobtomay; 12-27-2007 at 07:30 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I've heard and read somewhere that the OWC Mercury Elite external hard drives are manufactured by Seagate.
QUOTE Thanks
billynicol

billynicol is on a distinguished road

Hi, I want to buy an external storage. Think that NAS is going to be too slow and don't think it will work through BThomeHub, so thought about an iomega 1TB drive with firewire etc. or Buffallo, or Seagate - any ides of which is best and issues to look out for?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
markw10

markw10 is an unknown at this point

I am looking for a good External Hard Drive to use with my MBP running Time Machine. I have looked at the MyBook Studio Edition since it is quad interface. I know the Mac doesn't support eSATA but I think it will before long. I most likely will use the Firewire 400 or Firewire 800 port on my MBP and am looking for something that holds 750GB since my MBP has a 250GB HD.
I have looked at the various Western Digital My Book's such as the Pro Edition with the 3 interfaces but also am wondering if something from Seagate, Maxtor, Lacie, or OWC would be better.
QUOTE Thanks
KB3GZW

KB3GZW is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD

I have the MyBook Pro that is triple interface and it does quite well. I was thinking of getting one of those studio editions just because they are cool, not because I need the space. The MyBook you are looking at should do you very well

I Love Free Software.
Ext. Storage: 500GB MyBook Pro, 1TB MyBook Studio
iPod: 120 GB Classic - Phone : Treo 800w
TWITTER Follow Me
QUOTE Thanks
Computer.Geek

Computer.Geek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD

Greetings,

I've posted questions previously for advice on replacing my ibook hard drive. I will not do the replacement myself b/c it's too complicated and time consuming. Instead, I've been looking for price quotes getting anywhere from 30 bucks (non-certified mac technician) to 130 bucks. Obviously I would prefer to pay less and right now i figured it would cost me at least $190 incl. taxes to get a 160 gig hard drive and the labour charges for installation. If something goes wrong with the drive I am assuming I'm also paying for it to be removed.

Now I can purchase a 160 gig WD passport for 100 bucks but what I'm wondering is if it's gonna be a pain in the butt convenience and performance wise having my iphoto and itunes library utilized off a usb 2.0 drive. I need the hard disk space b/c my drive is completely filled and would like to know if anybody is currently using the external route I have mentioned.

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
skybolt

skybolt has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: White 2010 MB, Core 2 Duo, 8g RAM, iPhone 4S, iPad Mini, Apple TV

I do what you are asking about. My iTunes and iPhoto libraries are on an external and I access them from there. I am using a Seagate FreeAgent external and really like it because it can stay plugged in and sleeps when my Macbook sleeps, then wakes when the MB wakes. So, it is always available -no mounting/unmounting, turning off, turning on.

Here are the instructions to move your libraries:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301748
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93603

Good luck!

Mary
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Drive Question--Brand--WD vs. Fantom | mac does'nt see my HDD »