New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Which External Hard Drive should I buy/Do you suggest?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

You should be posting in "Other Hardware and Peripherals" subforum. Any standard hard drive will work with Leopard/Time Machine.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
hal515

hal515 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2.16 CPU/2GB RAM

thank you for telling me to put this thread in a another forum but what I want to know is if there is a online store that sells these for cheapehr than retail.
QUOTE Thanks
kocab

kocab is on a distinguished road

Fry's had an in-store special today of a seagate 320 Gb w/ firewire for $99. I bought two, one for my computer and one for my daughter's. They're both working fine.
QUOTE Thanks
groggy23

groggy23 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Intel Core Duo 2Ghz 20", MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2Ghz 13"

I'm looking to purchase an external hard drive for my iMac. Not for time machine, just for backups of stuff. Looking for firewire connectivity with preferably close to 1TB of space and most importantly RELIABLE. Not looking for anything fancy or fast, as long as it has firewire. Any suggestions appreciated.

So far I looked into Seagate, WD, and Maxtor; all seem like a good choice, just trying to narrow them down. Pricewise, under $400 if possible.
QUOTE Thanks
lilmill

lilmill is on a distinguished road

i just bought the lacie 1tb from newegg. At the apple store it was 399. Newegg has it for 309.
QUOTE Thanks
groggy23

Oh yeah I forgot about Apple's Lacie drives. Thanks for the input. How is it so far? I know Lacie is very well known and has high ratings from customers.
QUOTE Thanks
eguiyab

eguiyab is on a distinguished road

Well, Im in toronto. And tiger direct at the moment is having a sale of Freeagent drives. Usb2.0 and firewire400 for 109.
Dont know if the american website has the same sale
QUOTE Thanks
lilmill

lilmill is on a distinguished road

so far so good. Bigger than expected. A friend got a 200 or so gig from costco which is alot smaller. I think the lacie has two drives so you can run raid?? But i feel it's pretty quiet and matches the MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
groggy23

Awesome thanks for the little review lil.
QUOTE Thanks
deathtolife04

deathtolife04 is an unknown at this point

OK so for Christmas I want to get an external harddrive. I'm thinking it can't cost more than $250, but somewhere around $175 would be ideal.

Is there a way I could get an external harddrive where I could use it to back up all my files AND put files on there that I don't necessarily want store in my internal harddrive? Or would I have to get two separate ones for that?

I know I should start backing up my files, but I don't really have enough memory on my computer (60 gb) to store all my pictures, videos, and music. I'm always having to put stuff on disks and stuff...

I'm not really sure exactly how external harddrives work though so I don't know what I could/couldn't do with one...

I also know I'd like one that's USB-powered. And I don't want it to be very big...

What would be my best bet??
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

NOTE: Nothing to do with MacBook hardware. Moved to correct forum.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
deathtolife04

deathtolife04 is an unknown at this point

I got a 1st. gen. macbook about a year ago, and it only has a 60 gb harddrive, which isn't really enough for all my videos/pictures/music.

I'm looking into getting a WD Passport External 120GB Hard Drive (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/produ...61&language=en) because it's small and USB-powered.

I read somewhere they they don't work with the powerbook G4 unless you buy some separate thing for like $20. Do these work well with macbooks? How slow are USB-powered external harddrives? And are you able to sync all your files onto there, errr how does that work?

I want to use it to store music/photos that won't fit on my macbook, as well as to back-up everything.

Would a WD Passport External 120GB Hard Drive work well with my macbook?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

What else do you want to do with this external drive?
Do you want a small one that you're going to carry around with you or will it be one that just sits on your desk for backups and additional storage?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

mknabster has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac

I'm buying a WD My Book Pro edition for my MBP, i found it at www.bhphotovideo.com for $154, which is good compared to Office Depot with $319. I liked this one over the rest because it has the firewire 800 at 800mb/s, which is 2X as fast as USB.

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
chihiro

chihiro is on a distinguished road

hi

which external desktop hard drive you recommend for mac(leopard) please for mbp?
after that problems that apear with mb and seagate i dont know which will be realible
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Drive Question--Brand--WD vs. Fantom | mac does'nt see my HDD »