New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Which External Hard Drive should I buy/Do you suggest?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

raptorkid700

raptorkid700 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: macbook 2.16ghz,2 gigs ram, 120gigs--ipod nano red 4 gig--ipod vid 30 gig black-- rip macbook

i love my mybook. nice and cheap too, 320 gigs for 80 bucks
QUOTE Thanks
bryans83

bryans83 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo (Aluminum & Glass) 260 GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBookG4 View Post
every porsche drive I have used has failed, every time. I recommend going with another drive, maybe a MyBook.
That's pretty surprising, after I posted this, I did some more research, a lot actually. The General indication I'm getting about this specific EHD is that people absolutely love it, the biggest complaint seems to be the included USB cord is too short.

I looked up a Mybook from bestbuy, a 250GB was $200.00 seems a little expensive.

I Only Let my iMac do the fun, important stuff like Videos, Pictures & Music. My Laptop does the boring stupid stuff like pie-charts, word documents, and spreadsheets. I Love my iMac!
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I just have alot of experience with them ( My friend had 10 of them his place of employment last year, now he has none and has a different version of lacie hard drives) I have the mybook 1TB and very much recommend it. However if you like lacie the standard (non porsche models) are some other hard drives that I have and have been going strong for 2 years now with no problems (although I did have one fail, not nearly as many as the porsche hard drives that I or my friend have had fail on us) In the end its your decision on what you buy, I just want you to be well informed before you go and by a hard drive that may or may not live up to your expectations of a external hard drive. Good luck in your purchase.

Review I found that I agree with:
http://www.brainfuel.tv/lacie-porsch...d-drive-review

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

mknabster has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorkid700 View Post
i love my mybook. nice and cheap too, 320 gigs for 80 bucks
Where did you get yours from? I'm looking at the MyBook Pro 320 GB, and it's $155.

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
bryans83

bryans83 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo (Aluminum & Glass) 260 GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBookG4 View Post
I just have alot of experience with them ( My friend had 10 of them his place of employment last year, now he has none and has a different version of lacie hard drives) I have the mybook 1TB and very much recommend it. However if you like lacie the standard (non porsche models) are some other hard drives that I have and have been going strong for 2 years now with no problems (although I did have one fail, not nearly as many as the porsche hard drives that I or my friend have had fail on us) In the end its your decision on what you buy, I just want you to be well informed before you go and by a hard drive that may or may not live up to your expectations of a external hard drive. Good luck in your purchase.

Review I found that I agree with:
http://www.brainfuel.tv/lacie-porsch...d-drive-review

Thanks PowerBook, I'll definately take it into consideration. I suppose it's kind of risky anyway you look at it. The 500 GB which is the one I'm looking at apparently uses a different type of HD, and based on the reviews I've seen for the 500 GB all seems to be okay.

The good thing is that it's just over $100 on sale, so it's not like I'm forking out much cash, if the thing dies on me, I guess I will give you an opritunity to say "I told you so" ... thanks for your input :-)

I Only Let my iMac do the fun, important stuff like Videos, Pictures & Music. My Laptop does the boring stupid stuff like pie-charts, word documents, and spreadsheets. I Love my iMac!
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Good Luck, I wish you the best

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
jhkingsr@norths

jhkingsr@norths is on a distinguished road

"Customized" Newertech miniStack v3. Using FW800 to connect to the iMac.

24" iMac, 2.4ghz, 4gb, 320gb HD
1.66ghz CD, 2gb, SD, 250gb WD Scorpio HD (future HTPC)
1.42ghz G4, 1gb, Combodrive, 80gb HD Kitchen Mini
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

LaCie Porsche drives are known to be bad. They fail in greater numbers than probably any other external drive. Regular LaCie drive's are fantastic.

I have a regular LaCie external and love it.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

WD has been making hard drives forever and I think they are very reliable and reasonably priced. I have 2 My Book drives from them (500 GB $120 from Newegg) and haven't had any problems.

Aesthetically speaking, their newly-designed drives would complement your iMac well.

http://www.wdmybook.com/en/

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
hddad8080

hddad8080 is on a distinguished road

Over the years I have used a number of hard drives running on various PCs. Presently I have mounted a Maxtor 160 gb internal drive (6 months) -no problems, a LaCie/Porsche 80 gb external drive (12 months) -no problems and a WD 250 gb external drive (8 months) -no problems. I have on order a Iomega UltraMax external drive 640 gb 2 disk to provide storage for my yet to be received iMac for Time Machine storage. (which has a good rating by the "experts" and is selling for a discount from Iomega).
I have researched the "question" of best hard drive (internal & external )
over the net for much more time than I should have.
The general conscenses of my searches vary to the extent that most all have problems to drive "AB" is best and "XY" is the best and all permutations in between etc. etc. etc.. My advice would be A: do your own research, B: Pick between the "biggies" (Maxtor, LaCie, Iomega, Seagate, Western Digital, etc.). Good Luck
QUOTE Thanks
fraser38

fraser38 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Base White Macbook

Can anyone recommend a 2.5" one that is portable ? - I see western digital make one which has USB connectivity as a power source - they do various sizes 80, 120, 160 and 250 GB - I assume more space is better ?
QUOTE Thanks
sanity1082

sanity1082 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle

is more space better is a tough question if you will never fill up a 250 gb worth of information then you are spending money on space you arent using. I personally love my WD 2.5" 80gb hard drive. i would recommend it to anyone. i do take it with me and i only use it for backing up my work and important documents.

i have a 3.5" 320 gb hard drive at home i use to back up and store all my media.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

More space will make it last longer since it would take longer to fill. Also if the drive will see heavy use, more space will lower the change of fragmentation.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
grintbrad

grintbrad is on a distinguished road

I recently upgraded to the new IMAC, 2.0GHZ, 20 inch screen (stainless steel)

I previously had a G3 Graphite Imac, Special edition. (2001?)

When the G3 imac crapped out (power supply unit most likely), instead of fixing it, I decided to harvest the hard drive, which I now have (had to crack it open like an egg). I want to use this as an external drive, with the intention of retrieving data from it, and using it as an external for backup. Any suggestions on good brands of external enclosures for hard drives? I see SO many brands that it is hard to filter out the poor quality ones and the high quality ones. Any trusted names? All I need is a 3.5 inch IDEE compatible enclosure, preferably stainless steel (to keep with the imac scheme) and USB AND Firewire (might as well have both options).....any suggestions????? I AM running Leopard at this point...few problems with it I might add...
Thanks
Brad
QUOTE Thanks
hal515

hal515 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2.16 CPU/2GB RAM

Whats a good place to look for an external drive for time machine or just backing up with higher than 100gb no more than 200.

thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Drive Question--Brand--WD vs. Fantom | mac does'nt see my HDD »