New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Which External Hard Drive should I buy/Do you suggest?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Justin

Justin is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Mac is in THEORY compatible with FAT32, which Windows is too. However, there have been problems for many since the Mac OS 10.4.10 "update". Many of us, including myself, can no longer access our FAT32 drives. I do not know if that is everyone or not. So you might like to check with the specific computer you are looking to buy.

I hope they fix that terrible update soon!
Justin
Hi
Sorry I just read the answers to an inquiry I posted. It seems most people with Macbooks are actually having no problems with their FAT32 drives. So perhaps the proportion of people who suffered this from the 10.4.10 update are small. (Perhaps that's why they didn't fix it!)
Justin

Using brand new macbook
QUOTE Thanks
kata_tutu

kata_tutu is on a distinguished road

I have a brand new MacBook. Does that mean I would be ok to buy any external hard-disk and then use it with the XP PC? The box of a Seagate HD definitely said requires re-formatting for Mac?
QUOTE Thanks
kata_tutu

I have a brand new MacBook. Does that mean I would be ok to buy any external hard-disk and then use it with the XP PC? The box of a Seagate HD definitely said requires re-formatting for Mac in NTFS is required?
QUOTE Thanks
RTP

RTP is on a distinguished road

I think you may have mis-read the box.

Basically, a hard drive can be formatted using three different file systems:

- NTFS: This is a Windows file system. Your Mac will be able to read files that are saved on the drive, but will not be able to write to the drive (i.e., you won't be able to save documents on there from your Mac)

- HFS+: This is the Mac file system. If the drive is formatted to HFS+ your Windows computer won't be able to recognise it

- FAT32: This is an old Windows file system. If you format your drive to FAT32 you can use it (read & write to it) on both your Windows computer and your Mac

It's probably best for you to format it to FAT32 if you want to use the external drive on both Windows and Mac. There are some limitations of FAT32 that you should be aware of, however. The main limitation is that the maximum file size you can save on a FAT32 drive is 4GB (you mentioned that you will be using this drive for movies - this might pose a problem if your movie files are bigger than 4BG)

If FAT32 isn't going to work, you do have other options. For example, you could consider:

- Partitioning the drive and having the different partitions formatted in different file systems.
- Formatting it as HFS+ and buy a program called "MacDrive" for your windows computer that will enable Windows to use HFS+ drives
- Looking into other file systems (E.g., ext2)
QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

mknabster has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac

Has anyone have any experience with the Western Digital My Book external hard drives, the Pro edition in particular. I was looking at the 320 GB version as a complement to my MBP, since it's twice what i have in the computer. I wanted to get one with the Firewire 800 since it's faster than USB. This is where i'll be getting it from: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=494442&is=REG. Does anyone have any opinions or reviews on it?

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
kata_tutu

I think the idea of two different partitions sounds like the best way to proceed? Is this is a complex procedure?
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I would argue that it is simpler and better to stay with a single partition; much easier to manage the overall space then. Here is my oft posted run down on the options you have available for that single partition:

Both Mac and PC now support four common file systems:

1/ FAT32 - The older, lesser Windows standard file system
2/ NTFS - Win NT, 2000, XP and Vista all default to this
3/ ext2/3 - Mac, Win and Linux all share this format
4/ HFS+ - this is the native Mac OS X format.

Here is how to do each one:

1/ FAT32 - this is supported natively by both Windows and Mac. Just format your drive for it and both Win and Mac can read and write. Drawbacks? It has no file permission model, making it somewhat insecure, plus causing the loss of Mac OS X's carefully crafted per file permissions as you transfer things back and forth. FAT32 is "cheap and cheerful", but not recommended.

2/ NTFS - This has been supported by Windows for a long time, and has just very, very recently become available in full read/write mode for Macs. See the following thread, by Paragon Software, advertising beta availability of their NTFS for Mac:

Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X Public Beta Testing

This *is* beta, and it will be shareware, but first reports are that it works very well. Previous file system offerings from Paragon seem very well regarded. They have been in the file system driver business for a lot of years.

NTFS does have a more mature permissions model than FAT32 and is generally more secure. This option is better than the first one.

3/ ext2/3 - this is the standard Linux file system. Both Windows and Mac have installable file system drivers for it. For the Mac, see this:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsx

and for the PC, see this:

http://www.fs-driver.org

ext2/3 is an extremely mature, fast and very well regarded file system. It supports pretty much the same full file permissions model that HFS+ does (both, after all, are *nix based file systems), making it a recommended solution. Both the Mac and PC drivers are free, so that is attractive too.

4/ HFS+. This is the Mac standard system. To enable this for the PC, you need to get MacDrive. This mature and well regarded piece of software adds seamless support for HFS+ to your PC. If you are willing to spend the money, it may be the best solution of all.

So, there you have it. LOTS of ways to share your hard drive between your PC and your Mac.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I have a 250 and 500GB and I really like them. I don't know if other externals do this, but they shut down after a few minutes of idle, which is nice since I always have them plugged in via a USB hub and I don't want them running constantly. Plus, they're pretty nice-looking to have sitting on a desk or shelf. The new ones are even nicer! WD is a big name drive maker and pretty reliable, so you shouldn't have to worry about reliability issues.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

I give mine an A++++

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

mknabster has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac

I noticed it has an 8 mb buffer, what does that do, like is that better or worse than a 16 mb buffer?

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

i have a mybook 320gb (black with blue light) 100% - A* i reccomend
QUOTE Thanks
caqmr

caqmr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4gHz, iTouch, MBP 2.5gHz

I have a 500g from Costco. It is hooked up with the Firewire 400 cable to a new Imac and I have had on problems. Costco Canada currently have a 1 terabyte Mybook in stock just incase you have lots of pics of the mother in law!
Cam
QUOTE Thanks
naftalim

naftalim is on a distinguished road

Western Digital has new MyBooks out, you might want to wait for them to be available.http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=357
I'm thinking of the Home Edition.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by naftalim View Post
Western Digital has new MyBooks out, you might want to wait for them to be available.http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=357
I'm thinking of the Home Edition.
Of you could wait possibly catch a good deal with the older models. Storage is storage, unless you're into looks as well.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
beebop1711

beebop1711 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook w/Intel Core2duo

I have purchased 2 digital cameras, a camcorder, and an Aleratec DVD copy cruiser, along with several other small accessories from B&H photo.

I have found that they are very reliable and seem to have some of the lowest prices available on the net from reputable sellers!
Watch out for those 1/2 price scammers selling photography equipment=bad news! Definitely a good idea to check out anyone selling supposedly new equipment for 1/2 the price you find at Best Buy, etc...

Hope this helps you feel good about your choice!
Thanks for asking about the My Books! I came to the forum to get the same info and found it in seconds on your thread!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Drive Question--Brand--WD vs. Fantom | mac does'nt see my HDD »